SLOW wireless speeds

So basically - I have been experiencing extremely slow speeds when I am connected to my wireless network. It started about a week ago - so I bought a new router thinking my 5 year old one was dying. But with the new router, the problem persists.

Info: Verizon DSL - connected to the DSL router direct to computer - fast normal speeds. connected to my wireless router which of course is connected to DSL router, through ethernet - internet is fast. However, when connected wirelessly, it is like dial up all over again - maybe even slower.

My phone is 5.8, router is 2.4 - but I hardly use my landline phone so shouldn't be an issue. I use a 2.4 wireless keyboard and mouse, but even when I'm not using it, I have problems, and never had a problem with my old router conflicting with it.

I used a program to search for other wifi networks around me and found a conflict with one other one using the same channel so I changed router channel to 4 - no other network is on that channel. Still slow.

Ethernet connection to my router gives 0% packet loss when pinging, but when I'm connected to it wirelessly I get 35-50% packet loss.

I have PPPoE connection setup with a Keep Alive Connection (30 second redial period - the default). If it matters, it is a Linksys WRT54G. Also I'm connecting with XP Pro laptop with an Intel ProWireless 2200BG. I have the same problem when my VISTA PC is connected with a Linksys USB Wireless Network Adapter.

Here is my speedtest.net results connected through router with ethernet: '[image:

formatting link
'
formatting link
And here it is connected wirelessly to my router:

Well .. the test actually wouldn't even finish -- But it was at 46% downloaded at 20kbps -- with a ping of 79ms.

Someone please help me get out of 1990 internet speeds!!

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
wvwcguy
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 08:18:33 -0500, wvwcguy wrote in :

Likewise problem is wireless interference. See wiki below.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.