Slow performance on a DI-624 Wireless System

I have installed a D-Link DI624 wireless router to support my daughters PowerBook and my old desktop PC. The desktop runs 98SE and has installed in it a DWL-G520 card. Becuase of the location of the router and the tower, I installed a standalone antenna to connect to the G520. The wireless utility reports 70-90% signal strength, 802.11g mode at "54 MB/s" speed.

If I connect the PowerBook directed to the cable modem, I get 4 MB/sec at bandwidthplace.com. Goint wireless throught the PowerBook I get nearly the same 3-4 MB/sec. My friend brought his new Dell laptop over and got blasingly fast performance. My desktop PC with the particular card gets on 600-700 kB/s every time.

Any idea how what might be the culprit and how to spped up the desktop bandwidth to the available 3-4 MB/s performance?

Thanks Peter

Reply to
Cox News
Loading thread data ...

Does your old desktop PC achieve 3-4 mbit/sec when you connect it to the router with an ethernet cable instead of the radio?

Reply to
Roby

That's a great question. I have not dragged it upstairs to get it in proximity to the cable modem. Also, I would have to install an ethernet card. Maybe I can do that today and narrow the trouble possibilities. I'll try and post the results tonight or tomorrow. Thanks.

Reply to
Cox News

How old? What processor and memory? Many PC's are just too slow to get full peformance from wireless (or wired).

OK. It's got a good signal.

3 to 4 Mbits/sec is typical of what you would get downloading via a cable modem. Something is wrong with the desktop.

Yeah, the problem is probably an undersized RWIN (default receive window size). Run the "tweak test" below and follow its advice.

formatting link
"DRTCP" program works well enough for tweaking Win 98.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well I tried my system with a 802.11b Wireless USB adapter - same speed. I removed both the wireless adapter and the G520 PCI card, installed a Linksys 100TX ethernet card and ran a 50' cable to the router. Same speed about 600 kB/s.

Thoughts?

Reply to
Cox News

That confirms my guess: your desktop isn't up to the task. The usual solutions (more memory, faster CPU, faster hard drive) will pep up your machine some ... but not to "blasingly fast".

If you haven't done a careful search for malware running on your box, do so.

The only other suggestion I can offer is to invite the friend with the new Dell laptop for another visit. Distract him and then throw a blanket over the laptop. Perhaps he won't miss it.

Problem solved.

Reply to
Roby

SUCCESS! THANK YOU so much. Used DRTCP and followed the suggestiones on the tweak page and just got 4.1 MB/s! Great advice.

Reply to
Cox News

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.