Slow laptop, Fast PS3

My internet tops out at 6.1mb. With my two wired desktops, they achieve this speed easily via bandwidth tests and download speeds. My PS3 is wireless and about 30 feet away from the router with many walls inbetween, and it also gets 6.1mb everytime. I have three laptops, two Toshiba and one SONY, and all three only get 2.8mb. They are all connected to one router, Linksys WRT54G, and I can't understand how the wireless PS3 gets faster speeds than my laptops. The laptops (running XP Pro. SP2), both report excellent signals and 54mb speeds. They all hit a ceiling at 2.8mb regardless. Any help is appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
aochider
Loading thread data ...

I suspect that the PS3 has a better OS than the laptops. ;-)

Check that each laptop is using 802.11G, not 802.11B. If all of your wireless widgets are G-capable, it might help to set your router to use G-only.

When you do speed tests on wireless widgets, you should run one widget at a time, with the other wireless thingies turned off, to avoid corrupting the data. WLAN APs share the bandwidth between all active nodes, and even powered-up but unused widgets steal a bit.

Reply to
Bob Willard

How are you determining this? Are you by any chance running the tests on more than one laptop simultaneously for instance? How do you measure it on the PS3? I'm not familiar with the machine.

Note that lower-case mb is millibit. You probably mean "Mb" - though possibly "MB" if you're measuring in bytes. The case of the m and b are not a petty point since they make a difference to the sense of what you're posting. 2,8MB would be close to the theoretical maximum throughput of a 54G network connection, for instance.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Hi,

I would start half-splitting by seeing what data rates the laptops get through a wired connection to your router, using the same download source of course.

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.