Slow

I have a Belkin 4 port wireless router/switch connected to a cable modem. At times some local sites, like the newspaper websites run very slow. The web pages take forever to download, yet other sites work ok, like Yahoo and MSN. I complain to the slow sites only to find out it was me. When I reboot my router and cable modem everything comes back up without the drag and all sites are snappy. So, my question is why does my equipmnet selectivly slow down some sites? I haven't isolated it to either the router or cable modem because it doesn't happen to often and I end up rebooting both of them before thinking.

Reply to
Nog
Loading thread data ...

I have cable and have experienced the same thing (I also use Belkin wireless and cable). I'm not an expert, but I theorize that popular sites, like Yahoo, are probably cached on the ISP's servers, and that other sites need to be retrieved on the fly. My cable is noticably slower during the evening. As you may know, cable is a shared connection, like a LAN segment, with possibly hundreds of people on the same segment. DSL is different. I did not experience this situation with DSL when I had it (and I may go back to DSL). Possibly the reason why the sites are faster after you reboot is because by that time the sites you've hit have already been cached, either by your browser or by your ISP's servers. Hope this give you some insight.

Reply to
Joseph Stewart

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.