slim sealed enclosure for repackaged router?

Hi

Anyone know of a slim box suitable for repackaging the motherboard of something like a linksys wrt54g wifi router? I've only got a limited amount of space in which to cram this unit. It's in the radar arch of a boat. There's about 4" of depth and about 10" width but it'd have to fit through an 8" circular access panel. It's a dry environment, well dry in that it doesn't get direct exposure to moisture, or sunlight for that matter. But given that it's on the top of the arch it can get pretty warm in there during the summer month. Thus far a router left out in direct sunlight for several days didn't overheat so I'm not anticipating it'll be much of an issue. I won't be using the boat during colder months. This being the mid-Atlantic region.

Most of the NEMA boxes I've seen are too bulky to consider. Or is there some homegrown solution I should consider?

Thanks,

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney
Loading thread data ...

Go to home depot and get some sheets of lexan and make your own. Cut to size. Cheap and quick.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

Dig through:

formatting link
'll measure out the board and see what fits. However, I think the 8" clearance is going to be a problem.

If all else fails, go to a plastic sheet supplier and cut some 1/4" thick pieces to make your own box. Not elegant, but you're the only person that will see it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Is this not what I said ? (Lexan)

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

Hey, let's not fight over answers! The more the merrier.

Seems like making my own case might be the best plan. Got any links on fabricating one's own? I'm especially interested in how to set it up with positive pressure to help stave off moisture and such.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

formatting link
uses a Pelican case. My brain is mush this morning, but one of the vendors of those small form factor computers has a housing with antenna ports...

I'd still put it in a box and add some desiccant, there's no such thing as a dry location in a marine environment...

cases4less.com has all kinds of different options.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

I have a WAP54G v1.1 open. If everything has to fit inside the box, including antenna connectors, then the minimum inside dimensions are: 6.4" x 7.0" The 7.0" is somewhat of a guess as finding a right angle RP-TNC to fit will be a problem.

Looking at the Stahlin catalog, I find that the CL907W (classic series) looks like it will fit. (No guarantees from me). Inside box dimensions of 8.59 x 6.59 x 4.84 Outside of: 9.21 x 7.21 x 5.09

formatting link
may be some interference on the inside corners, but it looks like a good fit. It's going to be tight. Print the AutoCAD template (or scribble the box outline on a piece of grid paper), install all the connectors, and see if it fits. |
formatting link
Also, you'll need some CAT5 cable feedthrus. These are cheap:
formatting link
bottom of page). I just bought a pile.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Who said I'm fighting ? This Is why for over a yr now that I've left this group and thought I would come back and see if anything had changed. (It has not) So, I quess I'll back out again and come back in another year. Same shit as usual.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

Hmmm, well if your idea of coming back is to post once, carp about someone else posting the same thing and then insult everyone for the 'same shit' then perhaps you'd do well to sit it out for another year, eh? I'm kidding, but only barely.

Usenet's always been this way, that some folks don't get it comes as no surprise (again).

Meanwhile, thanks for the lexan suggestion, it was the first one I read (happy now?).

I'd prefer to avoid fabricating my own enclosure, if just because of sheer laziness and lack of time. Getting something that's got a hinge and/or o-ring type of seal would be a nice setup. I don't envision having to get inside the box on any sort of regular basis. But it'd be nice if it didn't involve re-sealing it every time. Making a sealed up box would be pretty trivial, making one that lends itself to being re-opened is a bit more of a hassle.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

My Idea was not to come back, make one post then carp. But I will tell you that your a *asshole* Cya next yr.

Maybe I can stick around for a day or so just to have a little fun. :)

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

Hmm, nice box. A bit too large for my situation though.

Yep, been saving them up for a while now. In a sealed bag of course.

Looking through their cases it occurs to me something like a handgun case might be the right size.

I'll be at the boat this afternoon and will get actual measurements.

Thanks for the suggestions!

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Well, at least I use better grammar.

Oh joy, I'm sure we're all just thrilled to hear that...

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Count on it jerk. I'm going to enjoy this.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

Well, it's apparent you've some sort of problem. If this is how you 'enjoy' yourself you need to get out more. But hey, it's your choice, me I'm headed out to the boat to fiddle with some audio and wifi gear.

Meanwhile, how 'bout you just crawl back to the alt.cellular.veriz> >> My Idea was not to come back, make one post then carp. But I will tell

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Seems like they're having some webserver woes over there. I tried loading their pages and got a BUNCH of cold fusion error messages.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:13:52 -0400, "Bill Kearney" wrote in :

Works fine here -- I'm guessing your problems were due to mangling of the long URL -- try instead.

Reply to
John Navas

"Bill Kearney" wrote: [Pelican cases]

Pelican cases come in all sizes from smaller than a cigarette pack to oversized suitcase.

Use new ones. Mcmaster.com 2219K92 and everything else on that page...

The guts of a WAP aren't very big. Find the right case that'll fit thru your hatch and still hold your WAP... If Pelican isn't it, there are a bunch of other options.

Cases4less.com doesn't carry Otter boxes any more, but

formatting link
has a few other options if none of the Pelicans or others work.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Like john navas, I don't think verizon is the best. What's nice about newsgroups is that I can say what ever I want. If they don't like it they can filter me out. But I will speak my mind.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

Hi, Bill,

Not back at the boat yet but the cast aluminum case I got sent with mine prolly would fit. I'm about to sell my gear and start over; if it fits, we'll work something out...

Reply to
Skip Gundlach

Hmm, in double-checking my measurements there's not enough room for much more that the WRT54GS itself. The access panel isn't 8", it's only 6" in diameter. I have to remove the mounting ring in order to get the WRT54GS inside the arch. In fact I have to remove the ring just to get the bare circuit board in there. As it stands I have to pull the front half of the case off, put the pieces up through the opening and put it back together.

This means any sort of self-made box would also have real trouble trying to fit.

So now I'm wondering, what sort of real signal loss am I going to suffer coming down through the arch to a place where a proper box would fit? I'd have to come through the arch (from the antenna) using an N-male to RP-SMA connector, presumably using 195 wire. This to get the connector through the base of the mount along with being flexible enough to allow tilting it down. I'd expecting to use a 2' patch cable here.

But once I'm in the arch and running down to the gunwales I'd be able to use other 'better' cable.

Or should I cobble together some sort of sealed bag or something instead? I could probably just stuff the thing into a bag and use a vacuum sealer on it. Assuming I'd added a heat sink to the processor first. I've actually used the WRT54GS left out in direct sunlight for several days this week and it's pretty tolerant of the heat. Granted, that had airflow, but with the heat lately it wasn't much!

The measured distance the cable would have to be in order to get to a 'box suitable' location is 12 feet. Just how much loss would that incur? It'd be a straight run down the arch to the mounting location, no turns other than the top curve of the arch and that's about a 2' radius.

So what's less worse, cobbling up a sealed bag of some kind or running the

12' down the arch?

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.