Singing the wireless VPN blues

My old super-reliable Linksys BEFW11S4 died on me recently. This 'B' wireless router was working perfect for 4-5 months after I updated the firmware to fix a DHCP problem. About 2 weeks ago the wireless quit working on it, so I figured I would go out and buy a 'G' router. I purchased the Linksys WRT54G and my VPN (and network in general) would not stay connected for more than 30-60 minutes. My old 'B' router used to stay connected to my VPN for up to the 18 hour max (set by my company). I tried updating the firmware on the WRT54G, but it did not help. I took the router back and got the Netgear WGR614, and the same thing is happening. My wireless laptop network keeps disconnecting after 1-2 hours. What the hell is going on? Does the 'G' network have some type of inactivity time-out? Also, the range on my Netgear won't reach my deck outside (the Linksys routers did not have this problem). As much as I don't want to buy a Belkin, I may just have to try that. Any others having a similar problem or resolution/suggestion? I may also buy another Linksys and use third-party firmware. Also, I was using WEP security on my 'B' router, and tried no security, WEP and WPA on the new G Linksys and that did not matter. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
jeffs9000
Loading thread data ...

Also, speed is way over-rated on wireless routers, I could care less about speed. What I do care about is reliability and range. Thanks.

Reply to
jeffs9000

On 6 Jul 2006 16:59:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote in :

My guess is interference. Perhaps the new G routers are using different channels than your old B router. Try different channels, preferably those with minimal overlap (1, 6, 11).

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks for the reply, however I never had any interference with my B router and I am using channel 11.

Reply to
jeffs9000

i have a netgear wgr614 (v6). i just spent all day connected to the vpn at work (work uses a Cisco VPN client into a VPN3030 server). i am running V1.0.11_1.0.7

1 thing that might help is to use TCP encapsulation if the VPN allows it - this helps for me with difficult connections such as GPRS.

Also, the range on my Netgear won't

WEP (and WPA) seem to work here.

Reply to
stephen

On 7 Jul 2006 11:08:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote in :

Please read what I wrote more carefully. And just because you didn't have interference before doesn't mean that you won't have interference now -- things change. Do try different channels, and look for possible sources of interference (as described in the wikis below).

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.