Simple port forwarding problem

Hi,

I'm afraid I am a complete beginner at this...

I have a Debian Linux box sitting behind a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router. It is running the SSH daemon listening on port 22. The router is serving IPs under DHCP and the Linux box has an IP of 192.168.1.103. I checked the external IP using one of those 'check my ip' sites and it is 82.xxx.xxx.xxx. Both IP's are still the same, as the Linux box and the router have never been switched off and haven't reset/crashed.

I am able to SSH into the Linux box from any of the computers on the local network (i.e. on the same side of the router).

I have set up port forwarding on the router [Port Start]=22 [Port End]=22 [Direction]=both [Destination]=192.168.1.103 [Enabled]=Yes. However, I get no response when I "Putty -ssh 82.xxx.xxx.xxx". I also get no response from "ping -ssh 82.xxx.xxx.xxx".

I would be very grateful if someone could give me some pointers on how to diagnose the source of this problem.

Many thanks

Jon

Reply to
jrpfinch
Loading thread data ...

On 24 Nov 2006 01:06:53 -0800, "jrpfinch" wrote in :

Check the router log to see what's happening when you try to SSH in from the outside. Your ISP may be blocking port 22. Try a different port.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi, I know this probably sounds silly, but you wont be able to do this from

*inside* the LAN. You might have to ask a friend to do the putty 82.xxx.xxx.xxx from outside your network over the internet. *Then* you will be able to check the logs as John has pointed out.

Regards, Shiv

Reply to
outbackwifi

I have a Linux AS3 and ES4 dual boot server available on a simple Netgear router. I can reach the "outside" address from inside. I have ssh, and some other ports, redirected to the Linux box.

I wonder if the local firewall rules in the Linux box are set to allow ssh access from outside the LAN?

Reply to
dold

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 17:59:00 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@15.usenet.us.com wrote in :

Many low-end routers won't do that.

Reply to
John Navas

There is no firewall on the Linux box. I have changed the ssh config file so that it listens on port 14000 instead. Still no luck.

I'll wait till I get home this evening to see what the router log says...

Reply to
jrpfinch

I've changed the ssh daemon to listen on port 14000 instead and have also told the router to forward in both directions on port 14000. "putty -ssh -P 14000 82.xxx.xxx.xxx" from outside the LAN still yields no response. Will check the router log when I get home this evening...

jon

Reply to
jrpfinch

Can you connect to a redirected port for some other utility? I might test a redirection of http or daytime, or some useful tool like iperf. iperf could be run on some other system on your LAN, so you could prove that redirection works to a box other than Linux.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.