Signal Seeker

Because what you post is *clearly* marketing hype, some of which is patently false on its face, and *none* of which you will support with technical specifications, measured or otherwise.

That is the kind of *flat assed lie* that causes your credibility to be zero.

In this newsgroup, it has been the most technically astute people who have been the most critical. Jeff Liebermann has taken you to task, *in* *detail*, once or twice already. To suggest that Jeff lacks an understanding of wireless networks or computers is just hilarious beyond belief. Dishonest claims like the above demonstrate *exactly* why nobody should believe a word you say about your product until you provide independent verified specifications.

There are have been several technically capable people make suggestions, and you have ignored all of them.

You could start with the addition of a little integrity to what you post here. Skip the marketing hype too (or run for a political office and scratch posting to technical newsgroups).

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson
Loading thread data ...

I have purchased every antenna I can get my hands on. I can not find and antenna that performs as good as the Signal Seeker. I have just purchased a large 19db panel antenna from a well know manufacture with a built in network card and it shows alot of networks, but they won't connect. The Signal Seeker can connect showing 1 bar. It is the best antenna on the market for home, business, and war driving. I have great response from customers. But I still have people in this news group that give me static. I know that the size doesn't make since, "5x6" that it able to do what it does. What suggestion would you like me to do to show a comparison of how great this small antenna is. I'm not trying to promote sells, we already are having problems keeping up with dealers that have used them. I just want to show the people that are giving me static that the Signal Seeker is the best solution for it size on the market. It out performs antennas that are impossible to take with you or place on your desk. My feed back from people has been awesome. Here is just one from today and they go on and on.

MY NAME IS BOB. I BOUGHT ONE OF YOUR SIGNAL-SEEKER ANTENNAS AND WAS BLOWEN AWAY BY IT. I HAVE TRIIED MANY DIFFERANT ANTENNAS, AND I WAS PEEVED THAT NONE OF THEM DID WHAT THEY SAID THEY WOULD. WHETHER THEY WERE OMNI-DIRECTIONAL, OR DIRECTIONAL.

YOUR SIGNAL-SEEKER ANTENNA, HOWEVER, DID EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS SUPOSE TO. IT BRINGS IN SIGNALS THAT ARE WEAK WITH ANY OTHER ANTENNA, AND BRINGS THEM IN CONNSISTANTLY.

THANK YOU FOR THIS GREAT ANTENNA. IT'S THE ONLY ONE I'LL EVER NEED. BOB ST. LOUIS, MO

The only people that ever say anything but positive things are ones that don't understand wireless networks or have a lack of computer knowledge to use them. I hope some people give me some suggestion on how to prove the performance of the Signal-Seeker. Others express they have high gain and the calculation show that they do but they don't perform as good as the Signal-Seeker. Please give me some advice on how to shut up the critics that don't understand that black is just the absence of color. Thanks Ed

Reply to
Ed Williams

Yeah, what Floyd said. How come you keep posting here, and clearly read the postings, but won't respond to Jeff's comments? We don't want to be "BLOWEN" away, we want to understand the device and have independent proof that it's better than the alternatives. Oh, yeah, and we don't trust you marketting types, sorry...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Reply to
tzar

I assume you mean panel antennas. If so, I just added up the total cost of one of every antenna on the:

formatting link
site (excluding the quantity bundles, and connector variations). That's 10 antennas for a total of about $600. I'm sure FAB appreciates your business.

True. Signal Seeker is not an antenna. It's a radio with an antenna attached. Comparing that to just an antenna is a waste of time.

Make and model? USB or ethernet? No reason to keep the competition name secret. Let's see what Google can find. One of these perhaps?

formatting link
formatting link
you can see lots of networks, perhaps the reason it can't connect is that they're encrypted and don't allow connections?

Does your purchase of such a competitive device imply that you're going to do a side by side comparison test? If so, I can recommend a few simple tests that will establish the relative differences in performance. Actually, one is very simple. Locate an access point with a very simple antenna at some location in the open. Connect a computah to the access point that is capable of serving large files. Connect your test radio to a laptop and download large files while measuring the thruput speed. Start very close to the access point and move backwards. Record the speed at convenient distances out to as far as you can easily measure. With a big antenna, this can easily be miles so be prepared to deal with long distances. Make a graph of distance versus thruput. The graph will be jagged because of reflections, multipath, interference, and such, but will give a good idea of the distance versus speed tradeoff. If you need setup clues or benchmark software, please ask.

I can't resist a joke. I was in a shop that sells cell phones and was listening to the salesmans pitch line. He was comparing cell phones for a customer that was obviously clueless. So, he declared that one particular phone was more "powerful" because it showed 5 bars instead of 4 bars for the cell site. Never mind that they were radically different phones, with totally different signal strength to RSSI to number of bars conversion algorithms. How many microvolts or dBm receive signal equals one bar?

War driving? Does it work with Netstumbler under Windoze 98/ME in native mode? Does your USB radio include an NDIS 5.1 driver for Netstumbler on W2K and XP? Does it work with Kismet (Linux)?

That would be me, but I wouldn't exactly call my comments static. Most of my comments are requests for detail and numbers, some of which you previous promised.

I, on the other hand, know that aperture size limits antenna gain for panel antennas and that as long as the patch antenna is not built from more than 2 layers, the gain will be directly related to the aperture size, which is the active antenna area. Download MStrip40 for a suitable simulation:

formatting link

Thruput vs range as previous described would be a good start. Compare with competitive radios and antennas. Throw in a simple laptop with built in MiniPCI radio or PCMCIA for comparison. Measured receive sensitivity and transmit power output (EIRP) would be nice, but will require quite a bit of test equipment. I'll settle for thruput vs distance.

It's not considered polite for me to question your motives. However, please note that if you really, truly, genuinely want to do battle with me, answering some of my requests for details and numbers would be a good start.

I've been involved with many manufacturers and product over the last

35 years. Very few people write unsolicited comments of praise. One mail odor and online company I just checked shipped to about 10,000 active customers last year, and received about 40 email and written messages of praise. I know because the company posts these on the company bulletin board. Everyone reads them. Most of the customer feedback is in the form of complaints, shipping issues, tech support, and requests for additional info. The number of unsolicited comments of praise you supply seems a bit excessive for your size company.

Also, your postings all show problems in grammar and spelling, which also appears in the alleged customer feedback. The similarity to your style and to other alleged comments on the eBay site, make me suspect the origin of your customer testimonials.

Now wait a minute. I said that your antenna has a definite receive advantage over system with a connecting coax cable. Everything else is problematic, but the receive advantage is certainly there.

Incidentally, on the topic of understanding wireless, I do which you would use dB, dBM, and dBi in their proper places. They're not interchangeable.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Ed Williams" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

You sir, are a real piece of work. I looked at something that was linked to your website (or E-Bay) that you claimed that the gain is estimated to be between 26 & 30 db. AND comparing it to a 14 dbi patch with a 500mW amp. An

8 dbi patch from Huber-Suhner is roughly 4 x 5. And a 16 dbi HS patch is roughly 12 x 12. A 24 dbi grid is like 36 x 18 or so, so there's absolutely NO WAY you can get 24 db of gain out of a 5 x 6 inch antenna, pure antenna gain, not with a pre-amp.

The people here are looking to argue, they were asking for proof, REAL proof, not just you spouting out bullsh*t. I'm sure that the regs here are WAAAAYYYY more knowledgable about the subject than you.

If there was ANY validity to your product at all, you would have no problem answering the question's posed.

And by the way, I've got a 16 GB/sec laser based product with a 150 mile range for sale for $250. I've had 13 people try it out that thought it was great..unbelievable. If your interested, give me a call at 1-800-EAT-SH*T.

Reply to
DanS

We won't help you fleece her.

BS. *You* wrote it.

You've received some very good advice here. There can only be one reason not to follow it. If your product actually is what you claim, there simply wouldn't be a problem with providing the requested specifications and test results. They *do* exist, and you know what they are. Obviously there is a very good reason to avoid the issue...

Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

You guys wouldn't help an old lady across the street. My feed back is from customers. How much more honest can you be. I don't change a word of what they email. The antenna works that good. All I wanted was some opinion on what would be a good way to put the remarks that have been said to rest. I guess some of you guys would never be satisfied. All you want is to argue your point. And the point is I'm not going to waste my time anymore with you. I will just let the satisfied customer prove my point.

Reply to
Ed Williams

May be absolutely no relationship at all, but there's a possibility that this could shed a little light on his Signal Seeker:

formatting link

Reply to
Rôgêr

Thanks for the help Jeff. As soon as I can get time to put some numbers or graphs together I will. Maybe it was a fluke but my antenna does have 4 layers in its design. Its just not a simple reflector with foil on it. It works and my feed backs are real. I'm working on some CNC setups right now to speed up production. When I get that together I will have the time to work on the numbers. Thanks Ed

Reply to
Ed Williams

Just this snippet says everything. It is filled with grammatical errors. Your customer testimonials are even worse, with spelling mistakes, and errors in thought process. You must be in too much of a rush to proofread, or even consider what you are putting in "print".

"5x6" does matter. Antennas, even your overpriced antenna, are not magic. ERP is not produced from something that you figured out in your sheet metal shop. With that sized antenna, the only way to get superior signal is with higher power. You may be able to achieve higher ERP than some other combinations on the market and still be within legal power limits, or not. It's just impossible to say, because you constantly act like you don't understand how it is done, and can't explain it. It may be that it's a fine product, but the web site, and your posts, are a real turn off to me.

I've been following your posts since the first one. You sounded like an astonished end user, having stumbled onto someone else's great product that you wanted to let us all know about.

Most of your other posts indicate that you are just a happy user. Then you claim to have designed it after many years in the business.

What is it? Is it some radio design of your own that is not FCC certified, and therefore illegal for sale, or is it just a cheap USB dongle with a brass panel antenna that you think is better than someone else's panel antenna? Is it $50 worth of parts and you are afraid to list the FCC ID of the dongle, because then people might build it by themselves and cut you out of your profit?

Instead of repeated posts of how certain people in the group are against your device and don't understand wireless, why don't you reveal a little of the detail you've been asked for? What is the FCC-ID of the radio? What is the model number of the radio? Who is the radio manufacturer? What is the MAC address of the radio? What is the antenna design (patch, biquad)? Can we see a picture of the inside of the 4x10 or 5x6 box that seem to have the same Netstumbler photo on your web page?

Reply to
dold

They may not be imported yet. The wording is ambiguous whether they're shipping "to" the U.S. or if that's shipping within the U.S. And the eBay page works fine in IE but Netscape wants me to install Chinese to display it properly. Gotta figure that whoever Ed's getting them from supplied the specs. I'm thinking that Ed or a friend with a soldering iron is taking these and gluing an antenna to them and the Signal Seeker is born.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Good Grief... That looks like a real posting from someone serious about selling a wireless adapter... What? It's from Ed? Amazing.

I still can't tell who makes the thing, though. Have you noticed any other eBay auctions that don't identify the manufacturer of an item that's for sale?

I just love that the "larger picture" is the same size as the original picture. Lot's of sites do that, but it bugs me.

I thought before that the unknown USB stick was from WLine. This one doesn't look like the one that I picked.

It might be that Ed imported these gadgets, and they are not legal for sale in the US.

Reply to
dold

You guys are way off track. Since you know so much, why can't you glue one to an antenna the size of mine. Let's see what you get. I'm not into marketing. But I have invented or made several things better. I have sold them to larger companies. Most of you guys sound like my son-in-law. He is brilliant and has the degrees to prove it. But I have to fix his computer when capacitors short out. Oh yeah, he has a degree in computer science too. Sounds like some of you guys do too. But what have you made better or have you made anything? Give me a break and get down off your high horse. A lot of people can talk the talk but can't walk the walk. I'm not trying to over charge anyone. If you buy a new radio and an antenna you will have about the same money in it, and most likely it still won't perform as good as the Signal-Seeker. I would like to thank everyone that has been good to me or had some good advice. I don't have time to defend myself to the rest of you that have been rude and disrespectful. If I know something to help someone, I'm more than happy to try. You guys are a bunch of asses. You get nowhere in life being negative. You guys are obviously smart, why don't you put it to good use, by being helpful instead of sarcastic. I just don't have the time right now to play with you guys. When I get things caught up, "I'LL BE BACK"! Ed

Reply to
Ed Williams

Easy solution: Make me look stupid and boost your credibility, post the FCC number for your device.

By the way, I fix shitloads of computers for myself and other people. And I have a wireless network that covers my hometown with quite a few paying customers on it, the very first high speed internet service available in my region. I'm not some RF genius, just able to set a goal and work toward it. I didn't hire it out to be built or maintained, I did almost all of it myself. And I get the feeling that I'm not exactly in the top 10 in this group in abilities. So you get down off your high horse and stop acting like a poor little misjudged public servant. Post some real, honest facts and stop blustering.

Reply to
Rôgêr

"Ed Williams" wrote: [Apparently in response to someone pointing out the USB keychain fob he might be using inside the Signal Seeker]

made better or have

You haven't been paying very careful attention to the newsgroup, have you, Ed? If you don't like (say) Jeff's qualifications, then no-one's will satisfy you. I've got enough of a background in RF to trust him and the other gurus here, and enough experience with marketing to know you are blowing smoke and getting increasingly desparate to 'prove' your device's qualifications without giving out any information.

The group tried being nice, tried being helpful, and has by now pretty much given up on you. Why don't you try answering _ONE_ of the increasingly pointed questions that's been put to you in this thread?

Don't hurry back.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Why are you temporarily taking no new orders at

formatting link
?

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

The driver disk seems to be using the sis162u chipset if that's of any interest.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Reply to
Ed Williams

Maybe better, maybe worse, but there is no magic. There's RF, and there's electronics. Did you invent a better radio? A better antenna design? If you did, I think you'd be proud to publish your work, unless it's just illegal sleight of hand. That's my only real concern any more. Lots of stuff gets sold on eBay that is stolen, illegal, or gray market.

It didn't start out that way. It gets a little worse ever time you post. I haven't been rude, I don't think. I am now disrespectful.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.