shortcut icon changed

For some unknown reason Windows changed the default quick launch icon for the wireless network to a tiny icon that nearly blends in with the task bar. I'd like to change it back to the default icon, but I can't find it in shell32.dll or a few other dll's in the system32 dir that I looked at. Does anyone know where the wireless icons are located? tia, rt

Reply to
rt
Loading thread data ...

rt hath wroth:

Well, to change the icon, right click on the quicklaunch icon, select "properties" and punch the "change icon" button.

The problem is that I can't tell what you're using for a wireless device that would have a desktop icon or a shortcut (or copy) of that icon in the quicklaunch area. It's probably mixed in with one of the driver libraries (DLL's) that came with the manufacturers card. It won't be in shell32.dll as those are just the ones that come with Windoze. It's also not the Wireless Zero Config icon, which appears in the system tray, not the quicklaunch area. Anyway, try digging through the wireless device manufacturers driver or client connection manager files.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

launch

blends

in

select

wireless

of that

of the

card. It

with

appears

digging

connection

Thanks. I looked in device manager for Broadcom and read that its driver is in system32/drivers, but the driver file doesn't contain any icons. BTW, the icon next to Wireless Network Connection in the Nework Connections folder is the default icon I'm trying to find. rt

Reply to
rt

rt hath wroth:

No problem. Control Panel -> Network Right click on the Wireless device and select "properties" Check the box inscribed "Show icon when connected".

If that's not it, right click and hold on the Wireless device icon and drag it to the desktop. Release and select "create shortcut". If you want a copy of that icon on the Quick Launch area, just drag the shortcut to the Quick Launch area and again select "create shortcut".

Note that if you're using the Broadcom client connection manager, you may get TWO icons in the system tray. The one owned by Windoze will complain that some other program is managing the connection.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

you really have not understood the ops q...............they clearly state the icon is there but undersize.

Reply to
Yes Baby

icon

icon

shortcut".

just

manager,

Thanks. I considered doing that last night, but not being sure of the outcome, didn't do it. After reading your response this morning I followed your advice. First, I deleted the Quick Launch shortcut that has the tiny icon from the taskbar, then dragged the new shortcut to the taskbar. I get the same tiny icon that was deleted. The icon in Control Panel/Network Connections is the one I want, but when it's dragged to the taskbar its icon is changed. BTW, I looked at the deleted Quick Launch shortcut in the recycle bin. Instead of the tiny icon, it now has the same icon as shown in Control Panel/Network Connections. So, the only place where that tiny icon shows up is on the Quick Launch part of the taskbar. It's not only tiny, it doesn't even look like the icon I want to restore. rt

Reply to
rt

rt hath wroth:

Ok, let's try a different ploy. I'll assume that it's the correct icon, but that Windoze is not showing all the possible icon colors. Go unto:

Control Panel -> Display -> Effects and check the box labeled "Show Icons using all possible colors".

Control Panel -> Display -> Settings and make sure you have 32 bit color selected.

You may need to reboot to see the effects of these changes.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

it

correct

It's not the correct icon. This pasteup image will show you what the icons look like:

formatting link
The image is about twice normal size. The icon at the right in the taskbar image is the one I'm trying to change. I want to replace it with the icon shown to the left of Wireless Network Connections. BTW, I didn't find "Show Icons using all possible colors". I have XP Home SP2. Under Appearance/Effects is "use large icons", which is unchecked.

rt

Reply to
rt

rt hath wroth:

I presume you mean the icon on the far right. That's not the WZC icon from Windoze. It's something that came with your wireless device. You said it was Broadcom, but that's just the chipset, not the card manufactory.

Incidentally, try this. Right click on the icon in the quick launch, select properties, then the Shortcut tab. It should show the "Target" which is probably the also the program or at least the directory that has the icon. You can also select "change icon" which will tell you exactly which file has the icon and offer some others that might be attached to the library.

Sorry, my fault. I'm on a Windoze 2000 machine right now. I thought it was the same as XP. Hang on while I warm up the XP box... yawn... updates.., yawn... reboot... yawn... ok. Bummer. The icon colors selection is missing in XP. Never mind.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

what

WZC

wireless

not

show

least

Bummer.

I tried finding the target yesterday. It brings up Control Panel/Network Connections. The target path is grayed out and reads {BA126ADB-2166-11D1-B1D0-0080-5FC1270E}. A search of the HD and registry didn't find {BA126ADB-2166-11D1-B1D0-0080-

5FC1270E}, other than the registry entry that indicated it was the subject of a search of the HD. I've also looked at where the icon is supposed to be located when changing it:%SystemRoot%\\system32\\SHELL32.dll, but it doesn't appear in the list. I looked at SHELL32.dll with an icon viewer program called Icanview. It has icons numbered from 0 to 237, but images of icons 49,50,51 and 52 are not shown. Maybe the tiny icon and the one I'm after is one of those. rt
Reply to
rt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.