shelf life on cheap wireless routers?

You'll know when you can't communicate over a reasonable range. The right question is how do you test for RF problems.

1. Substitution. Find a known working wireless router or client radio and do some testing. For example, if your laptop radio seems sick, then take it to a known working wireless router (i.e. coffee shop hot spot) and do some testing. If your wireless router seems sick, have a friend with a known working laptop test it for you.
  2. Use Netstumbler on a 2nd laptop to disclose the measured S/N ratio and signal strength numbers. High noise levels usually means interference.
  3. An expensive pile of test equipment. TX power is easy using a dummy load and spectrum analyzer. RX sensitivity is not so easy but doable with an 802.11b/g test source and precision attenuator. A sloppy way to test the receiver is have it scan for nearby access points and compare results with a known working radio.

Now that you've found this group, all me inform you of your indiscretion. You didn't bother mentioning the model number of your $35 Netgear whatever. If you're expecting sympathy, you've done the right thing. If you want technical help, kindly disclose what problem you are trying to solve and what hardware/software you have to work with.

"Crap out" is not terribly descriptive.

Perhaps a diaper or enema would be helpful.

Reliable, fast, cheap. Pick two. This week, I'm partial to Linksys WRT54G with Sveasoft Alchemy replacement firmware. About $70 before rebates. I've also had fairly good luck with Netgear WGR614, although the radio range is not quite as good as some others. About $50 before rebates.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Hi all,

It took me a while to find the right Usenet group, I think I am in the proper place.

How do you know when the transmitter/receiver of your cheap wireless router/switch is going bad?

I had this Netgear that was $35 and it wasn't working so well on the wireless ports, but after installing a Belkin (shipped from home office) it seems to have the same problem.

I could fiddle around, but, the question is, how do you know when the RF function is going bad or dying on your unit?

Aside from intermittent drops, like what is occurring now, I guess that's it. ???

The netgear only seemed to crap out after a 2nd RF device tried to connect and navigate the Internet. This Belkin just seems to shit the bed for no reason.

So, the last question; is there a good, reliable, router for my home network for under $100?

TIA

Mr Curios

Reply to
ng_reader

Well, I kinda tried that with the two units that work some of the time

I've heard tell of a magic device called an "Air Magnet" although I do not know *how* magical

If you want a good cry, call ME. (number not given on purpose)

The NetGear is a MR814v2 The Belkin is an FSD6231-4

To address what I might call a signal to noise ration, according to my machine running XP Pro, the Netgear provides less noise but similarly strong signal strength. Additionally, the XP Pro machne is close enough to plug in via patch cable, which *always* works.

Did I hear a birdie? cheep-cheep

Thanks for the notes, my lonsman brother.

Peace out.

Reply to
ng_reader

Nevermind, I saw the snapshots.

(sorry for all the typos, my machine should have picked that up!)

Reply to
ng_reader

Air Magnet isn't exactly in the right cost bracket though to test a $35 router/ap.

You might just as well go and buy a whole load more and have a shelf full of standby boxes for the price of Air Magnet.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.