Sharing Files over a Linksys BEFW11S4

I was wondering how to share files with the other computers on my wireless network.

I have three desktops running Windows 2000, and the two wireless connections are connected through two wusb11 adapters. How do I get them to "see" each other and share files and the printer.

thanks

Reply to
jim
Loading thread data ...

I can't even see the other computers for them to share anything. They all share the router out to the internet, but they can't see each other. How do I create a "network" with the computers. Linksys doesnt give you the instructions on how to do that.

thanks for any help,

Jim

Reply to
jim

Have you enabled file & printer sharing?

formatting link

Reply to
Smartin

It doesn't happen on the router. It happens on the PC's. You need to enable file and printer sharing on each PC from which you want to share stuff.

E.g. suppose Jim wants to share "My Documents" with other PC's. On Jim's computer right click "My Documents" and select "Sharing and Security". Tick to Share this folder. In the "Share Name" enter the name you want this folder to look like to other PC's, say "Jim's Stuff". Now go to another PC and open up Network Places. You should see "Jim's Stuff" under the name of Jim's PC.

Some things that might make this easier/more fun:

Give Jim's computer a recognizable name. Navigate to system control panel | Computer Name tab | Rename the computer or join a Domain (Change button). Give yourself a name like "Jim".

On the same dialog, make sure all PC's involved in sharing are part of the same Workgroup (probably WORKGROUP by default... just make sure they're all the same.) This is essential.

Once you've got this going you can connect to other PC's by typing \\\\Jim in the explorer address field or in Start | Run.

HTH

Reply to
Smartin

I have the same setup except I'm using XP. What you need to do is in Windows, use the network setup icon.......which I assume 2000 does have.

Reply to
Me
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

"Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP"

Home Networking How-To Center

Reply to
John Navas

"jim" wrote in news:1129426449.182259.101280 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

formatting link
You do through the O/S(s) which you'll find information for all the MS O/S (s) in the link.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.