sharing connection with laptop

We have a Wanadoo wireless broadband connection (on a win2k desktop), with a Livebox. We are trying to connect a new wireless-enabled laptop (Advent 8109) to the internet through this connection. It found the network OK, but when we connect we get a "waiting for connection..." window. This eventually disappears - and nothing else happens. A 2nd or 3rd try led to the slightly different "waiting for connection to be ready..." window - which felt more promising, but same result: no connection. In the "wireless network connection" window, under "choose a wireless network", we're getting an alternating message: First it says "acquiring network address" and tells us we're connected. A couple of seconds later it switches to "automatic" and tells us we're not connected. We have Norton Personal Firewall on the main computer, but we've switched it off.

We don't actually want to network the computers - only share the internet connection. Or does that require us to set up a network anyway? (I have a PCI ethernet connection to another desktop computer, not currently in use.)

Any ideas?

Reply to
jon
Loading thread data ...

I did post some links a couple of days ago. Did you follow the setup instructions correctly?

formatting link
$solution_id&docPropValue=kb4579
formatting link

Reply to
Kev

correctly?

formatting link
quoted text -

Thanks for the response. Those links are very useful, but only seem to deal with setting up the Livebox with the main computer. (We have the Inventel device shown.) That's all working fine - I have the green wireless network manager icon, etc. The problem is getting my partner's new laptop to connect to my Livebox. It recognises my Wanadoo network, identifies it as a "security-enabled wireless network (WPA)", and seems to be struggling to connect, and failing. I'm guessing (from that message) that this is to do with my security settings. I've reset the Inventel firewall configuration to "Low" (it was medium), but that's made no difference. (I also have Norton Firewall, but I've also disabled that - should I need to?)

I will continue to search that orange help site for something on connecting 2nd computers, but if you have any other tips I'd be grateful.

thanks again

Jon

Reply to
jon

correctly?

formatting link
quoted text -

In the middle of the page is a link for setting up in XP or Vista for a wireless connection in a laptop.It should take you to a choice of OS and then to:

formatting link
$solution_id&docPropValue=kb164

Reply to
Kev

to:

formatting link
quoted text -

OK, that's the page I needed - thanks! (Turns out there was one simple little thing we'd done wrong.... as usual.... ;-) )

Reply to
jon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.