sharing a printer

If they are in different workgroups, they won't see each other. Sounds like it is working perfectly fine (one workgroup isn't supposed to see other workgroups printers). Why not just rename your home pc's workgroup to match the one that can't be changed?

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Beats me.. One one line he said "workgroup", and on the next line he said "domain and must stay the way it is"... Have no idea if he was referring to the same thing or not.

That's what they do if they have different "workgroup" names, but have no clue if he meant the same thing (workgroup and domain), that's why I said "If"

Ran across that with some older pc's were distrubuted with the workgroup name "WORKGROUP" but newer ones have the name "MSHOME", and they don't see each other.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Reply to
Peter Pan

Have a home pc connected (wired) to a Belkin 7632 adsl modem/router/wireless-g router, so far so good, i also have a work lappy that can access the internet wirelessly through its built in wireless card and the afore mentioned router. Problem is the lappy and the pc cannot "see" each other, they are both on the same ip range and they can both ping the router but not each other, any ideas. The home pc is in "workgroup" (win 2k) The lappy is on a domain and must stay that way as it is a work pc, file and print sharing on both mc's is enabled as is netbui, heeeeeeeeelp

Reply to
>{daZza

the home pc is in a work domain not a workgroup?

Reply to
>{daZza

Its as i said, cannot put the lappy into any workgroup whatever the name as its in a work based domain, the pc cannot be put into the workbased domain because it would need an account to do so and that is not possible due to security etc, so i am stuck by the looks of it, just thought there may be some kind of work around but obviously not.

Reply to
>{daZza

Start -> Run -> "explorer \\\\a.b.c.d\\" (where a.b.c.d is the IP address of the other computer)

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Krüger

">{daZza}

Reply to
Duane Arnold

But there is still the issue with the machine name belonging to either a WG it joins too or a Domain. It can only be one or the other and is not based on user account/machine name. The machine name must be recognized as being part of a WG or Domain and in the case of a Domain; the Domain Admin must first establish the machine name on the Domain before the machine can even join the Domain. Heck, you may be able to do something but if there were something, I think it would be known at the place I work at because of the number of users who take a work laptop home and also have a home network situation.

My solution to the problem is not to bring that work laptop home or avoid doing that as much as possible. ;-)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

One option would be to establish an FTP site on the home PC. Then files could be pushed out to and printed from the home PC based on pure IP and FTP rights.

PIA though, a jump drive would probably be just as efficient and more secure.

Reply to
<dale_at_wildew.com>

">{daZza}

Reply to
The Chairman

Reply to
>{daZza

">{daZza}

Reply to
The Chairman

">{daZza}

Reply to
John Steele

Reply to
>{daZza

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.