Shaping the wireless coverage area - keeping it in the house

I was wondering if there was any thought to shielding and/or guiding the wireless signal, to 'aim' it so to speak and thereby preventing (at least the majority) of it from broadcasting all over the place.

Of course the main line of security is encryption and password protection. But I was also wondering about setting up something I'll call 'shadow' to cut out whole regions that don't need any coverage in.

An example; a home user places a wireless router in the corner of the room near the phone jack. Since the wireless node is sitting up against two walls why not block/reflect the signals coming from it back towards the rest of the property, perhaps in some way gaining the benefit of increasing security against roving folks who might seek to tap your signal.

Besides the seemingly paranoid aspect there might also be some improved reception to be had from concentrating, focusing if you will a directed signal _towards_ the intended recipient in the dwelling. Even if it's intended for a roving laptop the coverage doesn't need to be a full 360 degree bubble around the wireless hub.

Perhaps it might be something simple as sitting a stainless steel bowl or mirror behind the hub, perhaps it might really require some engineering.

Just a thought tossed out to see what discussion might come from it.

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk
Loading thread data ...

This NG has lots of references to antenna design. Google away.

Reply to
Bob Willard

"TBerk" hath wroth:

Yep. anti Wi-Fi wallpaper. See: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
2.4GHz, and passes everything else. Turn your house into a frequency selective shield room.

If you want to block everything, and not just wi-fi, then aluminum siding, foil backed roofing material, and aluminized mylar on the windows should do the trick. However, be advised that these are not effective against cosmic rays and whatever the government is using for mind control.

Not easily. It's best to absorb RF rather then reflect it. That's how an anechoic (no echo) RF chamber works. The carbon cones on the wall absorb any RF that hits them. The cone shape disperses reflections and also makes the system more broadband than a wall.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
in such a chamber would be spooky. It also deadens the ambient sounds, which causes ones hearing sensitivity to increase. I could hear my heart beating and blood sloshing through my circulatory system.

Of course, you could use the opposite approach and simply install a wi-fi jammer near the likely parking places or directed at the troublesome neighbors. It would not need to be very powerful. If you want to sweep the entire neighborhood, an antenna attached to a microwave oven should give you temporary air superiority (until the antenna melts).

formatting link
You'll need a ham radio license to do this.

One of the local coffee shops had the same problem. They didn't like having the neighbors using the connection. I came up with a fairly complex method of measuring the distance between the client and the access point. Anything off premisis was simply dropped. The owner didn't like it (too expensive) so he just turned down the access point xmit power. End of problem.

You can redirect the signal with reflectors. Using the room as a reflect methinks is a bit overkill. Something like:

formatting link
more appropriate.

Have you checked with your wife or ladyfriend about this? There's certainly a limit as to how much redecoration you'll be able to do. I don't think a large salad bowl hidden behind a mirror will pass the aesthetics tests. I realize that the uglier the antenna, the better it works, but that's only for outdoor antennas. Interior antennas and reflectors should be regarded as furniture and must be color matched, pleasing to the eye, child safe, etc. Ummm... don't use my house as a suitable example.

Geee, I thought you were serious.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Build a Faraday cage around your house. That will keep out wardrivers as well as the FBI, CIA, and NSA.

But don't blame me if you end up on the terrorist watch list... ;)

Reply to
Spender

This was the genesis of the Freeantenna parabolic reflector. Have a look at

formatting link
You can see the original story on the page "The Original Parabolic Reflector Template".

I like the EZ-12 Windsurfer.

Reply to
dold

Whoa!! Tinfoil AKA aluminum foil works just fine for all but the most intense government mind control rays. It is misleading of you to suggest otherwise. Cosmc rays are another matter, depends on point of orign.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) hath wroth:

There are claims that aluminum foil works with mind control (psychotronic) rays:

formatting link
'm not convinced that they work as evident by the large number of government employees that act more like zombies than humans. Considering that the aluminum foil industry ships enough aluminum foil to totally cover much of the United States, one would expect that the country is well protected against mind control rays. However, the zombification of much of the government is sufficient evidence that the foil is largely ineffective.

For real protection, I recommend using software instead of tin foil:

formatting link
installing and using the software, I have successfully resisted checking my email, avoided eBay looking for bargains, and even skipped my turn with online gaming. The software has reinforced my self control, dramatically reduced my tendencies toward compulsive internet behavior, and allowed me to see subliminal suggestions in everything. I'm waiting for the software upgrade that will immunize me against compulsively posting absurdities in usenet newsgroups.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

you use AOL `s software then ? :))

Reply to
charli b

I hope the mail man never makes this last delivery, too much fun would be lost.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Boy, ain't that the truth!

alien

Reply to
alien

rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) hath wroth:

Perhaps the government is catching on. Aluminum foil lined apparel is illegal in Colorado:

formatting link
again.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.