Setting Up Wireless, PLEASE HELP...

Hi all,

Can't seem to get this right here. I just got my new laptop (Dell Inspiron 2200) and D-Link Router (DI-624). I believe I have done everything correct as far as I can tell, buit can't seem to get this to work. I went throught the setup program installed the router. Laptop will connect to router it seems, tells me I have a signal and good connectivity, but I can't get onto the net from the laptop. I can get on from the server PC connected to the router. I have tried tinkering around with the IP addresses on the laptop, but to no avail. I seem to be missing something.. Do I need to set a special IP address on the server PC? And of so, where? Also, what should the IP address be on the laptop I am using to connect, and where can I set that? I think I am missing a small piece here. I'm a little green here so I may actually be missing a bigger part than I think.

Thanks to anyone who can help!!

J
Reply to
MAR568
Loading thread data ...

It's bizzare, on the laptop I am getting messages that I am connected to the wireless network, I am getting good connectivity but I can't get online. No internet, no AOL, no nothing. I have to believe it has something to do with the way I entered the IP addresses. Is there a rule of thumb for doing this?

Thank you for the help,

J
Reply to
MAR568

I pretty much just went through the motions on the setup program.

Reply to
MAR568

I got it!!! I don't know what I did, but after almost 4 hours I got it! Thank you to all who replied as I am sure I will be back again soon!!

Jay

Duane Arnold wrote:

Reply to
MAR568

What type of connection do you have from the router to the Internet?

Cable or xDSL??

Have you plugged the Cable or DSL modem to the WAN port in the router ??

J

Reply to
Loopback

The IP address is normally assigned by the DHCP server on the router, have you configured the router to connect to the cable modem?

Do you have any other systems connected to the router via a wire ??

Reply to
Loopback

Well whatever is happening did you go to the Command Prompt and enter IPconfig /all and see what IP the bad machine is getting as opposed to giving the same command on the good machine.

If the bad machine is getting the 169 IP from the DHCP server on the router then the O/S is timing out and assigning the 169 IP. The IP will not allow the machine to access the Internet, since it never got an IP from the DHCP server like the good machine did that can access the Internet. You're not going to be able to use a router's static IP for the wireless NIC either

There maybe some kind of mis-config of the wireless NIC or router or one of them is defective. But I would say that it's some kind of mis-config happening. Most of the time the WEP or WPA keys are not the same between the two devices.

Other than that, I would say get on the phone for each product and have them figure it out to reslove your issues. You can have 1000% signal strength between the card and the router but if they are not talking to each other, then it doesn't mean a thing.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Reply to
Michael Meyers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.