Setting up the D-LinkG640T ??

Hi Guys, I have a D-LinkG640T ADSL modem router, and an ASUS WL_167G USB WLAN Adaptor ,had them for around a year now,long time I know but I don't really understand how to set them up, I tried to set it up but couldn't get the USB adaptor to connect and it said the network was unsecured, I really would appreciate some help and advice, although it would probably easy for some people, not for me, but am willing to learn. I thought that the best way to set it up would be WPA PSK mode.What I don't understand is the following:

A There are 2 types of security to be selected. To secure your Wireless Networks. WEP: Make sure that all wireless devices on your network are using the same encryption level and key. WEP keys must consist of the letters "A" through "F" and the numbers "0" through "9." WPA:

802.1x:WPA RADIUS uses an external RADIUS server to perform user authentication. To use WPA RADIUS, enter the IP address of the RADIUS server, the RADIUS Port (default is 1812) and the shared secret from the RADIUS server. PSK: Is a special mode of WPA for home users without an enterprise authentication server and provides the same strong encryption protection.To use WPA Pre-Shared Key, enter a password in the WPA Shared Key field between 8 and 63 characters long.

These are the wireless settings for the AP(Access Point) Portion. Enable AP SSID: Channel: 1234567891011 1213 Security: None WEP WPA Group Key Interval: ???? Note: Group Key Interval is shared by all WPA options.

802.1x Server IP Address: Port: Secret: PSK Hex Hex: ???? PSK String String: ????

Hery I do appreciate your time and advice, I know you probably have been asked before about this, but looked on various web pages to no avail.

Thanks and Regards Bob

Reply to
BH2
Loading thread data ...

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 01:35:14 GMT, "BH2" wrote in :

1. See wikis below for information, including links to excellent tutorials.
  2. First get it working without security. Add security once it's working.

WPA is far superior to WEP, which is easily cracked in minutes.

Try channels 1, 6 and 11 to see which works best for you.

Don't mess with advanced settings.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks for your help John appreciated Regards Bob

Reply to
BH2

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.