Setting up a directional Antenna to my router

So I went to radiolabs.com and bought a backfire high gain antenna for outside because I need to shoot the signal from one house to another.

Now, the question, that may seem simple to some, is the antenna comes with a N-female end on it, and it's this large coaxial style screw in, this matches up great to the cable, but on the other end of the cable is.... another N-Female connector.

I want to connect this to the port on my wireless router, but am not sure what the name of the adapter I need.

It is a standard wireless antenna port, nothing special, the same I've seen on many wireless routers. The router is one by a german company, Hama.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply to
phoenixone
Loading thread data ...

There really isn't any standard wireless antenna port as different manufactures use different connectors. The only thing standard is that they intentionally use a non-standard connector.

Make sense? No. Links at the bottom of this post will help identify your connector.

The FCC requires a non-standard antenna connector for use in the United States. Supposedly to make it more difficult for anyone to add an external antenna. Needless to say, free enterprise came to the rescue by offering non-standard connectors.

So you'll find a reverse version of a standard connector on consumer grade wireless equipment. Its usually a reverse TNC or reverse SMA connector, and then it might be a male or female connector - so you have four possible connector types.

The Hama website isn't clear on what connector it uses, it only calls it an SMA connector. If the Hama device is type accepted for sale in the U.S., then its really a reverse SMA connector.

Here are two Wiki links to help you identify your connector:

Reverse male SMA connector:

formatting link
the thread is on the outside of the male pin side.

Standard SMA connector:

formatting link
the thread is on the inside of the male pin side.

Most likely your want a Type N male to Rev SMA male or female connector adapter.

For a N-Male to Reverse-Polarity SMA-Jack Adapter

formatting link
For a N-Male to Reverse-Polarity SMA-Plug Adapter
formatting link

Reply to
DTC

If you had mentioned the brand and model of the router, someone might have known what to suggest. There aren't that many in use.

Your vendor,

formatting link
pigtail adapters listed by brand and type.

formatting link
a manufacturer listing and pictures.

formatting link
another source of cables.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.