- Setting a WPA-PSK Password For My Netgear?

I have a Netgear router with a Comcast cable modem.

The installing tech did not enter a password. I wish to do so now. If I do, does this mean I have to enter that password every time I go on the internet? I do usually leave the router and modem on. Will I then have to use the password only to get back on the Internet if the modem and router have been off?

Thanks.

Reply to
cary3
Loading thread data ...

You will have to enter the password the first time you connect a new device. The password is retained by the router when it is turned off.

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

Thanks!

One more question. What type of "device" do you mean?

Reply to
cary3

Dumb question. I take it you meant any wireless device, such as a printer.

Right?

Reply to
cary3

Yes, if you connect a wireless printer, you'll have to enter the password (maybe). New devices and routers have other means to connect... I don't recall exactly how that works, but there are buttons to press and hold, etc. But say you get a notebook computer with wireless capability. You'd just enter the password when trying to connect.... then later if you wnated to connect that computer again, it would remember the password. Say you get a smartphone, and want to use your WiFi instead of your phone's data connection... you'd have to enter the password on that device too. Same if you want to let a friend use "their" device, they'd need your password.

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

I get a headache just reading this stuff.

My wife had to setup our wireless printer. I didn't have clue as to what in the bleep I was reading in that manual. She works in IT. If you're dumb and ignorant, marry smart. I did! She comes in handy for other stuff, too. :o)

Reply to
cary3

LOL.

Or you could try my technique. Just read it over and over again until the words are familiar (even tho you don't know what they mean) so that you "think" you understand it.

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.