Setting a different IP address for each access point

I'd like my wireless card to automatically use certain IP addresses when I connect to certain access points. Is there any way to do this?

ie:

When connecting to AP "linksys39" it should automatically use

192.168.0.1 When connecting to AP "dlink984" it should automatically use 192.168.1.100

Is there anyway to set this up? I'm tired of manually changing my ip/ gateway/dns settings.

TIA

Reply to
Dennis
Loading thread data ...

ps - I'm on Windows 7 and dhcp is not an option

Reply to
Dennis

Won't giving it different fixed IP addresses at the router do that?

You will have to do a manual connect instead of an automatic one unless only one of them is powered on, otherwise it will always find the one at the top of the list.

Of course you will have to manually connect to

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Why are you trying to overide the one assigned automatically? (ie... use server assigned ip address, rather than force one in by saying use this instead)

Reply to
Peter Pan

~ On Nov 25, 10:47 am, Dennis wrote: ~ > I'd like my wireless card to automatically use certain IP addresses ~ > when I connect to certain access points. Is there any way to do this? ~ >

~ > ie: ~ >

~ > When connecting to AP "linksys39" it should automatically use ~ > 192.168.0.1 ~ > When connecting to AP "dlink984" it should automatically use ~ > 192.168.1.100 ~ >

~ > Is there anyway to set this up? I'm tired of manually changing my ip/ ~ > gateway/dns settings. ~ >

~ > TIA ~ ~ ps - I'm on Windows 7 and dhcp is not an option

Why is DHCP not an option?

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

DHCP is a pretty elegant way to do it. Why isn't it an option?

Reply to
George

Agreed. DHCP is not an option. It's standard with every distribution of Windoze 7 by default. If you don't see it as an option (whatever that means), you probably have the DHCP client service disabled.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I can think of several situations where it would be desirable to use a specific address. Let's say you're going to a number of different sites and have an assigned address for your use at those sites. And that the sites do not have their DHCP configured to reserve one for you. Setting your address manually would be necessary.

Yes, using DHCP is quite often a better solution. But not all situations will allow for it.

It's been a while since I've looked into this, but what's the state of a "location" sort of profile for Windows? That seems like it'd be a viable solution. Set up each 'location' and then switch between them as you move.

Alternatively you could use the 'netsh' command. Set up a batch file for each situation. That would at least make it easier to effect the changes after you've made the desired WiFi connection.

As with any networking situation, wired or not, you need to make sure you're not trying to use an address that's already active and assigned.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.