Sending email with attachment drops wireless connection

I can hardly believe that it's true, but I can duplicate it every time...

Whenever I try to send an email with an attachment - either while at work through the Notes client, or at home through GMail - my wireless connection drops. It's no problem to surf the web, check email download attachments to emails or virtually anything else, but when I try to SEND an email (with an attachment) it chokes.

Is there some setting on my wireless card (have a crappy IBM T42 laptop unwillingly forced upon me by my company) that can correct this problem? I've been experiencing various wireless problems for months now, but the tech support at the office can't fix it, and this problem is now the icing on the cake.,,

Thanks! Chris

Reply to
chris
Loading thread data ...

On 26 Jul 2006 13:18:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@koenigweb.com wrote in :

What does "chokes" mean? What is the _exact_ symptom? Does the wireless icon switch from connected to disconnected, then back to getting an address? How do you recover? It's hard to suggest a solution without knowing much more about the problem.

Reply to
John Navas

Here's exactly what has been happening:

1. Turn on computer and connect to wireless network - get response of "Excellent" connection (IBM T42 Thinkpad with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN
2100 3B drivers v. 1.2.4.35 2/28/2005 installed by company support tech)

1. Browse to GMail mail account, compose new message to anyone, and add attachment (zip, xls, pdf, anything) and press "Send"

2. Internet Explorer spins for 1-2 seconds and then Wireless icon located in the system tray switches from the connected/green to the disconnected/red.

1. Wait a few seconds and recieve popup baloon that says "Wireless Disconnected" message.

2. Click the message and force reconnection. Wireless reconnects successfully with "Excellent" connection and I am able to browse the internet at will, including downloading large files, with no issues.

I suspect that there's something to do with the "upload" of the attachment when I press "send" but I'm not sure. I thought, at first, that it might have something to do with the Ajax-style code on GMail, but it does the same thing to Lotus Notes when I try to send an attachment from there.

I have noticed, s> On 26 Jul 2006 13:18:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@koenigweb.com wrote in > :

Reply to
chris

On 26 Jul 2006 20:38:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@koenigweb.com wrote in :

The "excellent" part is pretty much meaningless.

Perhaps a browser problem. How about Mozilla Firefox or Opera? Also, I strongly recommend full virus and spyware scans.

What if you just wait? Will it reconnect on its own?

Any attachment? The same attachment?

Given that it sounds more like interference with sending. It might well affect long FTP uploads too.

I'd personally start by removing and reinstalling drivers for your Mini PCI wireless card, using the latest generic driver from the Intel site.

If that doesn't work, I'd next upgrade the Mini PCI card to the Intel

2200BG, which is much improved over the 2100.

p.s. I think the T42 is an excellent product. I personally use a T41.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.