sender/receiver interfering

I'm trying to understand the wireless 802.11g protocol. My understanding is that the sender and receiver use the same frequency. How do they prevent interfering with one another? I'm guessing there's some kind of TDMA, but I can't find a layman's explanation of the details.

Thanks.

Reply to
mike7411
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Correct. On a given infrastructure wireless network, all radios are on the same channel (as controlled by the access point).

Easy. The radios only transmit and receive one at a time. If you have a room full of laptop users, only one laptop may transmit at a time. Of course, everyone can listen all the time, making this "half-duplex".

Well, this was a nifty article covering just about everything you would want to know about conventionaly wireless installations. However, it seems to be missing (along with the entire wireless directory). ftp://download.intel.com/business/bss/infrastructure/wireless/deployment/hotspot.pdf Perhaps Intel is going out of the wireless biz? (I like starting rumors). I posted my archived copy of the article at:

formatting link
and worth reading.

If you want to go deeper into how the protocols work, there's always the 802.11b/g specifications at:

formatting link
Reading this stuff makes my brain turn to mush.

There are also some tolerable web sites that explain Wi-Fi.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

802.11 uses CSMA/CA

formatting link

(Sorry if the link may be broken on your reader)

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:05:13 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

No "if" -- it was broken by your news client. Framing a URL in (per the Internet standard) may help. Otherwise you might want to use a client that doesn't break URLs, or add a short link:

or

Short links are available at:

Reply to
John Navas

Sperm damage, already?

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 16:29:05 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

You have my sympathy.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.