Security - Wireless Internet Connection.

MAC addresses can be easily spoofed, so that's *not* a good security solution.

"Configuring Windows XP IEEE 802.11 Wireless Networks for the Home and Small Business"

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

I gave up my dial-up connection and installed to my computer a wireless connectivity from TRENDware, USA (TEW-229UB, 11Mbps 802.11 Wireless USB Adapter, Wi-Fi compliant with IEEE 802.11b devices). During Installation/configuration I was trying to enable 'encryption' Key Length: 40/64 Bit. Format: Hex. But when doing so, a connection to the net could not be established. So I unchecked this security feature in order to establish network connection.

It's been suggested that if I can't secure a wireless connection then you should go wred and not wireless otherwise I may be the object of "War Driving". And one way to keep others out and to make the connection more secure is to record the mAC address of the Network Interface Cards (NIC) of each PC that is on your home LAN and only allow those MAC addresses to use the wireless connection.

In C:\\WINDOWS\\Help\\infrared.chm is a lot of information concerning security (WEP, WAP) relating to eavesdropping and unauthorized access all of which I consider as very important but is a bit beyond my comprehension.

Is there short-easy-to-understand-way (i.e. check points or step-by-step instruction) to make my wireless workstation more secure?

My System Information:- Platform: OS Microsoft Win32 XPPro Version 5.12600 SP2 Build 2600 Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2400Mhz, Pentium4 MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00, Total Physical Memory 512MB.

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
Kayman

Thank you for directing me to this informative website. I have just one more question please. As my Wireless LAN USB Adapter is presently plugged to my computer, is it safe to unplug this device while using the Wireless Network Wizard to Configure a Wireless Network? Best regards,

Reply to
Kayman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.