Security accidentally enabled?

I can't connect my daughter's PC to my home network even though her PC "sees" the home network. It just won't connect no matter what I do. I suspect that it might be a security thing.

I do not have security enabled on my router/modem (Belkin) nor my own PC (WXP SP2, Belkin desktop card). I don't *think* that I have security enabled on my daughter's PC. But I'm not sure. How do I check?

Would this explain why I can see the network on her machine but can't connect? The Belkin system tray icon is permanently red when it should be green. But when I double-click this icon, it sees the home network on the "list of available networks". I just can't get the damn thing to connect! Help!

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby
Loading thread data ...

"Bobby" snipped-for-privacy@europe.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

It may have to do with the network protocols being used between machines in order for the machines to network and see each other and share resources. Or the machines are not in the same Work Group could be the problem as well.

You should make sure all personal firewalls are disabled on the machines too behind the router while trying to establish a networking situation between machines on the LAN side of the router.

It would have been of help if you would have indicated what O/S(s) are being used on the machines.

The link may help you.

formatting link

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Reply to
Airhead

What kind of *error message* do you get? Any? What operating systems are we dealing with? Is win2K one of them?

Reply to
optikl

All XPSR1 (except mine SR2).

Cheers.

Reply to
Bobby

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.