secure network shows up unsecured?

I am running a standard cable internet connection (Time Warner in NYC), using a D-Link DI-524 wireless router (802.11g, 2.4ghz). I have two machines, one is a MacBook with built in wireless adapter, the other is a Dell PC with a Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB adapter.

For a few months, things were fine. Lately, a few strange things are happening. First, both machines (but more so the Dell) seem to have trouble connecting to the preferred, secure network set up in my apartment...and instead opt for the unsecure network belonging to someone else in the building.

But even stranger, right now my private network is showing up as

*unsecured* even though I haven't changed any settings.

I've of course rebooted, also hit the reset button the router, powered down both the router and the cable modem. Any idea what is happening here?

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
cavemanlawyer15
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:01:46 -0500, cavemanlawyer15 wrote in :

Sounds like your SSID is the same as the unsecured network. Change your SSID to something unique, and turn off auto-connection to open networks in your computers.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.