Screen saver messes up a download over wireless adapter

I've got the Trendnet TEW-424UB wireless USB adapter that I installed yesterday. I was downloading a large file today, and then the screen saver kicked in. Then I moved the mouse to get out of the screen saver, and I noticed that the progress indicator had stopped moving. So the screen saver must have affected the wireless adapter. I opened up another browser and it could connect to sites. But the download didn't proceed anymore and had to be cancelled. Anyone experienced anything like that? Would you think that is acceptable, or is this a cheap piece of junk? (It costs only $8 after the rebate.) Running Windows Vista SP1.

Reply to
void.no.spam.com
Loading thread data ...

That's if you get the rebate.

formatting link
Note there are at least two different chips used in them. RTL8187B is one of them. You can see in the description here, the device is pretty intelligent. It even has small buffers, to hold packets until the host is ready to poll the USB port.

formatting link
I suppose it might depend, on what other state changes are triggered by your screen saver. For example, you probably wouldn't want the OS to turn off power to the adapter, to "save power". In this example, make sure the box is not ticked.

This one is an example for WinXP.

formatting link
I don't know where this one fits into Vista, but you may want to investigate this.
formatting link
In the few reviews I read on Newegg, I didn't see something matching your description. But there are several hundred of them to read, and maybe you'll find one that matches your symptoms.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Does the power managment turn the USB adaptor off when the screen saver comes on?

Reply to
Harry

kirjoitti viestissä: snipped-for-privacy@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Check power management settings for BOTH your USB ports and the wireless adapter, device manager -> USB -> USB Hub (all of them) > power management -tab ->uncheck "Allow .. to save power) ....................... -> Network adapters -> ......................... ( start -> run = devmgmt.msc )

Reply to
Thomas Wendell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.