School scenario..

Hi,

We need some hints and tips before meeting hardware ans software suppliers. Say we want the following scenario for school with around 300 students using wireless notebooks:

The students need access to the internet and to their personal folders on the schools' servers.

Should we use win2003 server's native VPN authentication for logging in or does it exist 'thinner' solutions?

To save on bandwidth we just want access to the internet and personal folders and no profile loading and saving. Any hints on what we should do or not do to avoid unnecessary broadcasting and transfers?

We have dorms in a few separate buildings. I assume that smaller wireless cells from local accesspoints would be the best solution as notebooks don't have that level of transmitting power to reach more centralized access points / routers.

The students should be allowed to use their notebooks in the classroom most of the time. However does it exist solutions to restrict wireless connection classroom-wise for a limited amount of time? I assume that switching on and off an access point with transmitting power turned almost off in the middle of each classroom wouldn't do the trick ;-) What does schools do in this case?

regards

Geir

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn
Loading thread data ...

I sent you a direct response outside of the newsgroup but it bounced.

If you care to receive it, please send me a private mail to snipped-for-privacy@nodomainname.co.uk

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

"David Taylor" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@news.cable.ntlworld.com...

Thanks David, - private message sent

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.