Satellite Internet - Only 1 User Allowed?

I posted this in another group but got no replies, going to give it a shot here.

"I have some friends who live out in the country, in the same valley all within about 1km of each other. One of them managed to get Telefonica (Spain) to install one of their Satellite Internet systems (its a Hughes Satellite Modem/2-Port Router). The speed is not brilliant, but its the only game in town. The others would all like to share this connection/cost, as the usage will only be light, only for emails etc. I am no expert, but I suggested (after a small amount of research on the internet) that they try hooking up a Linksys WRT54G router running DD-WRT to the Satellite Internet Modem, put a Yagi 16Db Antenna onto the wireless side of the router, pointing in the general direction of the others (with the transmit power cranked up a little). Each of the others, also have a Yagi antenna pointing back at the WRT54G, hooked up to a high transmit power Wifi/Ethernet adaptor.

I can get the Router and the Wifi/Ethernet adaptors to talk to each other, but here is the nub of my question.

I cannot get the WRT54G to talk with the modem/router. (Incidentaly, Nor if I hook up my VOIP adaptor direct to the Hughes modem, can I get that to establish a connection with it).

I had a quick look at the settings left by the telefonica guys on the laptop of the original user, and there appears to be no TCP/IP option, just a "Microsoft client option for networks" under the LAN connection properties.

Suddenly this expert realises he knows less than he thought.

Anybody care to offer some suggestions as to what the problem might be, without giving too much stick, thanks. TIA Mark in Spain."

Reply to
Anti-Spam
Loading thread data ...

Which model of Hughes modem/router?

Are you connecting the WRT54G via LAN or WAN port and what are your WRT54G settings? Some Hughes modem/routers use different subnets on each port and both DHCP and NAT may be disabled, also only one IP Address may have been allocated. Did you disconnect the working laptop and try connecting the WRT54G to the port it was using? You may have to clone the laptop NIC's MAC address to the WRT54G.

Did it give a "service provider" and "network address" under properties for the "Microsoft client option for networks"? I assume you checked ipconfig /all to see if any information was given?

A typical remote user guide for HX50 and HX100 can be downloaded from

Reply to
Bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.