satellite com - why so iffy

was just reading in my Network World trade rag about various satellite com companies...

There were 2 that I looked at for just general info & knowledge

formatting link
formatting link
in reading thru the Wildblue sat forum,
formatting link
seems like the usual sat probs -

I guess reading any of these forums, or even with Broadband Reports,

formatting link
mostly see the discussions about why or how to fix things..

Having never had a sat dish - guess can't figure out why all the probs -

Reply to
ps56k
Loading thread data ...

I think you answered your own question; the forums are primarily filled with complaints, troubles, and those seeking solutions.

berk

Reply to
berk

It's probably no better or no worse than satellite TV which I've had since late '96 and over that period of time have had fewer issues than I did the few years I had cable. YMMV. Now I have a cable modem from the ISP who operates the WISP described below. I've noticed a few glitches in service that didn't happen when I was on their WISP.

We have a fairly progressive local telco that set up a WISP for the areas they can't serve as a telco. I know of one family that lives in a valley who could not get service from the WISP and went the satellite route. So far as I know they are still using it as no other broadband alternative exists for them.

Several weeks ago I arranged to have the WISP in question provide service out to our farm for my brother and checked out the satellite providers. The WISP was priced competitively with those providers since I personally know the people at the WISP. Otherwise, I doubt I would have had major issues with the satellite ISP I chose other than latency, but we're not gamers so even that may not have been a big deal.

- Nate >>

Reply to
Nate Bargmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.