Same OS;wifi works on one,not on other

Boxes X and Y both have same listed version of win98SE, but I think some of the cab file contents might be slightly different. Usb ports working on both.

Box X accepts usb wifi adapter and drivers fine and works

Box Y installs everything except the ieee 801.x protocol and does not work-program stalls, with file msgsrv32 not responding.

What can I do to get Box Y working as does Box X? What files in this OS would effect wifi drivers ability to function?

Reply to
SteveJ.
Loading thread data ...

I suggest you download and run:

formatting link
free version of Belarc Advisor and compare updates, fixes, tweaks, and apps.

Any particular Wi-Fi adapter? Any particular reason why you didn't bother to mention the make and model? There are quite a few USB devices that have problems dealing with Windoze 98SE. The problem is that Windoze 98SE did not include a USB driver. So, rather than use the commodity Microsoft driver, every dongle, radio, gizmo, and USB contraption insists on reinventing the wheel and writing their own. After installing about a dozen of these USB drivers for various devices, Windoze 98SE finally gets terminally confused.

MSGSVR32 is the DLL used to display error messages. It's hanging trying to complain that something is busted. No clue about the 802.1x problem because I have no clue what driver or product is supplying the supplicant. Is it hanging during the install or when you try to run the wireless config application for your unspecified USB device?

Drive into add-remove and remove any USB device drivers that don't belong. Do the same in Control Panel -> System for any surplus USB drivers. I'm not sure which one has wedged your driver pile, but trial and error should work. Also, do the usual virus, worm, and spyware scans to make sure that's not an issue.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.