RWin Settings for multiple connection types

Hi all-

Using a win xp pro laptop. I use it to connect to serveral different networks: ·1.5mbs T1 at work via wifi and wired ·8.0/768 cable modem connection at home via wifi and wired ·Verizon EVDO 1xRTT on the road ·WiFi at places like Starbucks and Airports (guessing about a T1 connection to Internet) ·Dialup on the road sometimes

Ultimately, I'd love a tool that lets me save different profiles and switch RWIN depending on the connection type.

I've done tests on DSLReports

formatting link
and see that depending on location and connection type I should use different rwin settings for best performance. I can set these using drtcp, but does anyone know of a better tool that doesn't require a reboot and will allow for profile switching depending on where and how I am connected?

Thanks, ken

Reply to
nntp.post
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

8 different newsgroups is not quite "all" but you're getting there. Please make an effort to be more selective.

formatting link
I use Netswitcher for reconfiguring my laptop for the two dozen assorted networks I service. The trick is to remember to save configuration changes before I leave the site.

However, if all you want to change is RWIN, you can find the registry key that controls RWIN, and build a simple reg file such as EVDO.REG and run it as needed. That's much easier than a complex tool that saves and changes literally everything involved in networking. The various prefab sizes in the *.REG files supplied by DSLReports is more than adquate:

formatting link
60 second solution section)

Some changes will require a reboot. Not much that any tool can do about that.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thank you Thomas & Jeff for your prompt replies.

I've emailed the author of NetSwitch to see if that does RWIN / MTU / etc.

I've read through the help on NetSwitcher and MultiNetwork Manager, but don't see anything there about tcp/ip stack settings. Hope to be able to test them out later.

Jeff - GREAT idea about the simple reg files. That should do the trick, easy, quick, and effective.

I cross-posted thread to 5 (not 8) groups, because I was unsure which group was most appropriate. Searches returned the most results for RWIN in the 5 I selected. For future reference, which single group would you suggest posting questions like this to? I didn't think that cross-posting would cause any problems, and am frankly still unaware of what the problem with cross-posting is. Isn't most newsgroup software smart enough to mark messages read in multiple threads?

Thanks again! Ken

Reply to
nntp.post

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

I'm not sure that it does. My laptop is sitting in my palatial office. I'll check later this afternoon.

Yep. That's what I did before I bought Netswitcher. The problem with that method is that some changes really do require a reboot. Changing the numbers can cause "unexpected results" such as locking up the entire IP stack after a few connects and disconnects. That was not very common but intollerable for what I was doing (firmware updates and router configs). There were also many more changes that I wanted to make when switching locations. The one that drove me nuts was that I had to use fixed IP addresses at some sites (for security reasons) and dynamic (DHCP) addresses at others. Windoze has no native way to switch between these without reconfiguring the interface IP settings. Another was the SMTP server so I could send outgoing email from inside. That would change with each location (this was before POP3 before SMTP and authenticated SMTP became popular). The REG files will work fine for simple RWIN changes, but other stuff requires an application.

The problem is that your question is Windoze specific and has very little to do with wireless. The RWIN problem appears more in wired connections than wireless. It's often difficult to determine the areas covered by each newsgroup by name. It's also not a major disaster if you elect to crosspost. I just think it's better if you limit yourself to one or perhaps 2 newsgroups. When I formerly run a news server (never again!), I would automatically drop locally originated crosspostings with more than 3 groups.

People often trim headers in their replys. If we did that, would you check all 5 newsgroups to see if there were any newsgroup specific replies?

Some discussion on the topic:

formatting link
In order:

comp.protocols.tcp-ip This is specific to the protocol itself and not really involved with the Microsoft implimentation of TCP/IP.

alt.internet.wireless This is primarly for home wireless networking and not really involved in anything MS specific.

microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support This looks like a beginners group for MS users and covers a huge range of topics.

microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless This might be a good choice as it involves both TCP/IP and wireless from MS.

microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain This seems to have little on wireless performance but seems to emphasize server and client performance.

My guess is that the lesser evil would be: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless

The problem with massive crossposting is that it generates huge threads as readers from each newgroup add their opinions to the discussion. Most often, the thread moves off topic and degenerates into multiple non-relevent discussions. I predict that this one will diverge into a discussion on proper usenet etiquette. If you're looking for quantity rather than quality, massive cross posting is the way to do that. However, that's not the "real" problem (from my warped perspective). I don't like the idea of people posting in newsgroups that they don't read. Read first, search with Google Groups, and then if you don't find anything, post.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi There are two set of parameters involved in the changing of the Internet source.

Network parameters, which can easily maintained by a program like NetSwitcher, and TCP/IP stack parameters, which is a little hard to maintain flexibly.

If you use large RWIN (like 256960) it is not so critical to change it between connections.

MTU is.

You can use the following to change easily the Parameters. You would need to Reboot each time,

formatting link
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Using a win xp pro laptop. I use it to connect to serveral different networks: ·1.5mbs T1 at work via wifi and wired ·8.0/768 cable modem connection at home via wifi and wired ·Verizon EVDO 1xRTT on the road ·WiFi at places like Starbucks and Airports (guessing about a T1 connection to Internet) ·Dialup on the road sometimes

Ultimately, I'd love a tool that lets me save different profiles and switch RWIN depending on the connection type.

I've done tests on DSLReports

formatting link
and see that depending on location and connection type I should use different rwin settings for best performance. I can set these using drtcp, but does anyone know of a better tool that doesn't require a reboot and will allow for profile switching depending on where and how I am connected?

Thanks, ken

Reply to
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Quote: Why would you favor "Time Stamping - No"? See here:

formatting link
The grammatical errors on that site are distracting. Yap, the author have a mild form of Agraphia. Correct the page and email it to the email on site, and I will take care of it. Jack (MVP-Networking).

Reply to
Jack (MVP-Networking).

NetSwitch?

formatting link

Reply to
Thomas Wendell

Dr. TCP will do exactly what you want:

formatting link
are also articles on calculating your RWIN value.

You might also want to consider TCP Optimizer:

formatting link
You might also be interested in a patch to TCPIP.SYS to unlimit your concurrent TCP connections to more than 10:
formatting link
Enjoy.

BTW, your cross-posting is generally pretty much frowned upon.

-- Hoppy snipped-for-privacy@Unrealized.Reality.com ~~

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 5 Jan 2006 08:58:22 -0800:

np> Using a win xp pro laptop. I use it to connect to serveral different np> networks: np> ·1.5mbs T1 at work via wifi and wired np> ·8.0/768 cable modem connection at home via wifi and wired np> ·Verizon EVDO 1xRTT on the road np> ·WiFi at places like Starbucks and Airports (guessing about a T1 np> connection to Internet) np> ·Dialup on the road sometimes

np> Ultimately, I'd love a tool that lets me save different profiles and np> switch RWIN depending on the connection type.

np> I've done tests on DSLReports

formatting link
and see that np> depending on location and connection type I should use different rwin np> settings for best performance. I can set these using drtcp, but does np> anyone know of a better tool that doesn't require a reboot and will np> allow for profile switching depending on where and how I am connected?

Reply to
Hoppy

Disable and enable on the interface should cure most of the "needs reboot" changes.

I think the dslreports tweaks faq is behind the times for RWIN. WinXP Pro will auto-tune it, and with rfc1323 and SACK, there isn't much point in playing with it on a per connection basis. I would set it to 64k, maybe

256k for high speed, and forget about it.

Most of the comments on the tweaks page are about much lower values being too low.

Reply to
dold

Why would you favor "Time Stamping - No"?

The grammatical errors on that site are distracting.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.