Run own ftp server through Router

log on to the router, go to "applications and gaming" and click "more...".

tells you all about it.

no and i'm guessing no (you'd know if you did).

if it's just you and a few mates sharing this resource, send them an email if the ip address changes. for dynamic dns, try this:

formatting link
(there are others but this one's free).

hope that helps.

Reply to
bryan
Loading thread data ...

Hi all,

I want to use my "Old Laptop" (see sig.) running Xp Pro as an FTP server. I have an ntl 2Mb line running into a Linksys WRT54G router, but am unsure as to how to go about doing this. Anyone know of a guide that will take me through it? Do I need a static IP address on my ntl line? (Do I even have one?!?!?!?)

If you need anymore info, just ask.

Cheers,

Neil

Reply to
Neil Barras

i'm using linux so i can't download the app and test it for you... i have looked through the "readme.txt" that comes with it though. i also tried to log on to your server and it just hangs :-)

first of all, what settings did you set for port forwarding?

read the ftp server log to see if there are any glaring errors there. if the messages mean nothing to you, post them.

make sure no ip ranges are blocked (a windows program with secure default settings? it _could_ happen!).

did you create a user? if not, try logging on with the user name "anonymous" (without quotes) and use an email address for the password. i can't swear to this next bit but if you've created a user account, they may have to have a windows account as well as the ftp account.

i can't think of anything else so if those don't work, you're on your own! :-)

Reply to
bryan

Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded a program called "Quick 'n Easy FTP Server". I have set it up correctly AFAIK, but when I try to connect to the server, I get an error saying "A connection with the server could not be established." I have set up the port forwarding on my router, and set up the DDNS service for dyndns.org to update my dynamic IP, but I can't figure out why this is happening. Anyone know why?

Cheers,

Neil

Reply to
Neil Barras

no problem... i thought that if an anonymous login worked, the router was set up properly. i would also be able to tell you if you had left it world writable, which is a no-no!

set this to 21 unless you've configured the server to use another port.

doh! that's one of the reasons i couldn't log in!

why do you do this? is there a problem with it?

give each of your machines a static address then set the dhcp range on the router to the next address, ie. if you have four machines on your network, set them to 192.168.1.100, .101, .102 and .103 respectively. set the first ip address in the dhcp range on the router to 192.168.1.104 then any machine that joins your network will get that address. if it's a permanent fixture, set the machine's ip address to .104 and adjust the dhcp range accordingly.

that's what i do on my network... your mileage may vary!

:-)

my pleasure... let us know how you get on with your router configuration.

Reply to
bryan

ftp works, but it did NOT ask me for a login or password.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

well done!

Reply to
bryan

Ok...I'm on a roll now. I have set up a page for the status of the server on freewebs. What I can't figure out how to do is for users to be redirected to that page when the server is down. Any ideas guys?

Cheers for all this,

Neil

Reply to
Neil Barras

Thanks for trying as an external user.

That was pretty much the problem! I had set it to forward port range 19-24, but hadn't set the IP to the system that I will run the server. I simply bashed in the IP and voila! One problem noe though, is each time I reboot the router, which is daily, I get a new IP for each system. I attempted to give the server a static IP, but it resulted in no Internet connection for that machine. Do you know how I can do it for just one machine to save me going to the router's config and changing the IP when it does on the server?

Works on Owner's credentials and a guest account...Bliss!

Thanks for the help mate. Much aprecciated!

Neil

Reply to
Neil Barras

i expect this could be done if the ftp client was web based... check out your ftp server on:

formatting link
sorry, mate, can't help you this time!

(and it's probably beyond the scope of this newsgroup :-)

Reply to
bryan

Bryan,

Thanks for all info. My server is now running a dream on a static router IP through to a long lease DynDNS monitored ntl Dynamic IP. If you would like to test it yourself, feel free:

ftp://karlshaw.dyndns.org

User: guest P/W: guest

Cheers,

Neil

Reply to
Neil Barras

My bad there...Should have posted that I later changed the user account from guest to anonymous.

Thanks for testing.

Reply to
Neil Barras

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.