routing through an internal WRT54G

I have 2 WRT54Gs... one is on the edge of my network at my cable modem... so the WAN is my ISP, and internally I have it

192.168.1.0/255.255.255.128 handing out IPs to a box plugged into it and wireless clients.

my 2nd WRT54G is setup with the free version of the SVEASOFT firmware I found on the web. I have the wireless accepting an IP on the WAN side from the 1st WAP, and then I plug my desktop into this router. This is setup with the 192.168.1.129/255.255.255.128 subnet.

Everything is working great except I can't get from my 192.168.1.0/25 network to the 192.168.1.129/25 network b/c the 2nd router at

192.168.1.102 or something (DHCP) is WAN. Is there a way I can set this up, or some routes I can put into the this 2nd, internal router to allow all traffic through as if they were on the same subnet? I've tried a few things but I'm not real good with this kind of stuff....
Reply to
ksw139
Loading thread data ...

Ditch the sveasoft.

Go, now, to

formatting link
and download the v23_sp2 version appropriate for your device.

Why use two subnets? Or better yet, what is it you think you want to have set up? If you're just interested in having the 2nd router provide wifi coverage then just operate it as an access point off the 1st router.

But if you really want two subnets (explain why) then you'd have to configure the 2nd router in router mode, not gateway mode. By using it in gateway mode you're effectively firewalling the 2nd subnet behind a NAT route on it's WAN port. In router mode it's just another subnet that the

1st one can route packets into without them being firewalled. That's more or less the simple explanation.
Reply to
Bill Kearney

I don't want 2 subnets, I just found directions to set it up that way and could not figure out how to do it otherwise... basically I just want the 2nd router to be on the same network and just allow me to plug in my desktop here without running cable to this room.

Bill Kearney wrote:

Reply to
ksw139

Ah, then use the dd-wrt firmware on the 2nd router and configure it as a client. It makes a wireless connection to the 1st unit and then routers the wired ports to it. That should do what you want. See the

formatting link
website for more info.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

In which case just connect the two routers together via one of their LAN ports, configure them to be in the same subnet, disable one of hte DHCP servers, and off you go. I have three routers on my home network, two wireless and one wired.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

You miss his point about NOT RUNNING CABLE. Sure, if there's wire between the two and all he wants to do is provide WIRELESS coverage then your suggestion would work. But from what I've read he's trying to get a WIRED connection for his PC using the 2nd router to make a WIRELESS connection to the first one.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

What are you trying to accomplish with this derrangement? My guess(tm) is that you're trying to use the 2nd WRT54G as a client radio. That's easy and doesn't require any subnets. The first WRT54G is setup as a wireless router and dispenser of DHCP addresses. I usually use 192.168.1.100 thru 150 for DHCP. Don't use the entire 256 available addresses.

The 2nd WRT54G is setup as a "wireless client". It gets its IP address via DHCP from the first WRT54G. Or, you can setup a static IP address for the 2nd WRT54G. Just don't use an IP address that's already in use or is part of the DHCP address range. The DHCP server in the 2nd WRT54G is disabled. The computer plugs into one of the LAN ports, not the WAN port.

I dunno about the current Sveasoft versions, but I had no luck getting client mode to work when I was running Alchemy. I switched to DD-WRT for various other reasons, and client mode again didn't work right. However, after numerous updates and fixes, DD-WRT finally has a working client mode.

Another way to do this is to use WDS (wireless distribution service). The 2nd WRT54G can simulatenously act as an access point for connecting wireless computers, a wired client for connecting your wired desktop, and a bridge for acting as a backhaul back to the first WRT54G. Configuration is a bit messy but not impossible: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
catch is that your wireless connections to the 2nd WRT54G will have a maximum speed of half of normal, but all other speeds, including your wired desktop, will run at full wireless speeds.

Hint: When asking a question, please supply:

1. What you are trying to accomplish?
  2. What you have to work with? (Make, model, version, operating system, etc). You did fine on #2 but without #1, it's difficult to answer your question with much more than generatities and guesswork.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I did indeed miss that.

Then he needs to have one of them in client mode presumably. I'm still confused about the problem. In client mode the router isn't a router, its a client.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

heh, we all miss one now and then.

Well, yeah, operationally it's making a client connection to the 1st network. But once it's made than connection the packets are then routed to the wired ports. When using a 3rd party firmware like dd-wrt it's easily done. So it's a case of a piece of hardware, sold as a router, being used in client mode to route a connection from it's local wired ports to another network, wirelessly.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.