"routers" and PPP

I`ve noticed that for user,pass they seem to use a username with an @ like

snipped-for-privacy@adsl.provider.com

is that always the case? anybody know why?

I am in the UK, the ones I Have seen have all been PPPoA. Is it only PPPoA that have that?

With some USB modems the PPP is done in windows. Is that still PPPoA ? (I am guessing so, since isn`t A for ATM , which is to do with the service provider)

Yet This link here

formatting link
a windows screen that suggests that USB modems use PPPoE, and that the username does not have an @. I can guess that they use PPPoA in UK, and PPPoE in america.

Is it also the case that PPPoA tends to use an @, and PPPoE tends not to ?

Is there a name for a device whose function is PPP? I am guessing not. I guess it is another function they bundle into the device called a "home router". I know with dial up modems it is always windows that does it. And I have heard that a router can be put in bridge mode and then PPP can be done in windows. Is that right?

Reply to
jameshanley39
Loading thread data ...

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk" hath wroth:

Yep. That's the way a RADIUS server wants to see user names. Most ISP's have multiple domains running on the same system. Each domain could have duplicated user names. For example: snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com snipped-for-privacy@ebold.com snipped-for-privacy@skyhighway.com are all different accounts. If it were just "jeffl", there would be no way for the RADIUS server to distinguish between them.

No. PPPoE also uses the same system. Not all DSL systems use PPPoE or PPPoA. However, the one's that do usually require some form of authentication.

Duh. I don't know. This is a wireless newsgroup and not a DSL newsgroup. You would probably get a better answer if you asked in a DSL specific newsgroup.

That's for a dialup connection to a university. The university has only one domain. All the user names would end in the same domain name (udel.edu). Therfore, all users names would need to be unique for authentication. Usually, universities use the student or instructor ID number instead of potentially duplicated names.

Dunno. Your questions has nothing to do with wireless. Try asking in a DSL newsgroup.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.