Router signal

formatting link

Reply to
riggor
Loading thread data ...

OK, I just drove around my neighborhood with my laptop in my truck. I have Network Stumbler running. I got a million hits. Including my own. How do I make it so mine can't be used? It a Linksys router.

Thanks,

Bill L

Reply to
Bill Lederer

LOL. I've actually thought about doing that with my PDA. Drive around and see how much activity is going on in the local neighborhood. From my front porch, I can make out three other SSID's going on with neighbors.

I'm definetly no "guru" when it comes to this wireless stuff, but have taken steps to shut out my 802.11a as much as possible. Steps I took was unique SSID name, using WEP encryption (I know -- it's weak), disabled DHCP in favor of using static IP's assigned to specific MAC addresses, etc. My router/gateway doesn't have the options for the new "WAP" and "Disable SSID Broadcast" features, but if it did then I'd be using them too.

As for my 802.11b, I'm wide open. No encryption and also allowing DHCP. Only thing I have configured for 802.11b is just internet access, can't get on my LAN. *shrug* Guess I'm a little 'trusting'. I look at it, basically, like -- if someone wants to access the internet off my network, go for it -- but keep some of your internet pipe open for others. Of course, should anyone decide to park outside my house and download kiddie p*rn in the middle of night (traced back to me), I'll be having a major change in philosophy...

Reply to
Eras

Thank you for the information. It pretty much lays it out.

Bill L

Reply to
Bill Lederer

I have this same problem. How do you go about implementing WPA encryption.

BILL P

Dave G wrote:

Reply to
William. Boyd

Never mind I found it.

William. Boyd wrote:

Reply to
William. Boyd

Implement WPA encryption.

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.