Router's Wireless LED is Pegged

he wireless LED on my AT&T/Pace 5031NV wireless gateway supplied wth U-Verse has been pegged (blinking so fast it's half-lit) the last 24 hours or so even when there are no wireless devices connected or attempting to connect. The logs don't show anything abnormal except for dropped unknown packets from random IP's all with the same MAC(?) hitting my torrent client port (torrent client not running).

notice Feb 24 12:06:26 IN=br1 MAC=60:fe:20:9e:66:ec SRC=86.81.66.198 DST=99.129.nnn.nnn LEN=129 TTL=112 PROTO=UDP DPT=56880 Drop Unknown Incoming Packet

notice Feb 24 12:06:35 IN=br1 MAC=60:fe:20:9e:66:ec SRC=76.173.176.194 DST=99.129.nnn.nnn LEN=134 TTL=110 PROTO=UDP DPT=56880 Drop Unknown Incoming Packet

What would cause the wireless LED to be pegged like that and how do I tell? Usually it's only this active when a wireless client is downloading something or hitting a large web page.

Possibly coincidently, my WRT54G configured as a wireless bridge on another PC overheated a few hours after this started - it wouldn't work until I left it off for half an hour or more (the LED activity on the Pace gateway still persisted after the WRT54G was unplugged).

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz
Loading thread data ...

This is just guesswork, but the activity should show up in the logs. And just because the torrent client isn't running doesn't mean that people aren't trying to connect to it. I used torrent once, to download chess endgame tables, and people were still trying to connect to my client for about a week after I turned it off.

You haven't said how your network was connected up, but it shouldn't overheat even if it was running flat out.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Hemphill

But this is the *wireless* light/indicator. The ethernet activity light is blinking much slower and irregularly. The wireless light is blinking probably 60-80 times a second.

The person who uses that computer/bridge likes to keep papers on top of the WRT54G. Wasn't a problem until I noticed all this wireless activity. I had problems with another WRT4G overheating as well. Which is probably why there are instructions out there for making a fan for it.

But back to the original problem...

OK, let me ask this: Is the wireless LED on the gateway indicating all the wireless traffic it hears, or just the wireless traffic on the same channel, or just the traffic destined for its own SSID? or some other criteria...

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

"Sqwertz" wrote

Try reboot to clear torrent. Or if you wish, power down for ~24 hours and then reboot. Torrent does not like leaches. Until reboot your PC will live by Torrent rules. Even if you have moved a torrent download you will be remembered.

Reply to
Norm X

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.