Router question

I just installed a router so i could use different computers to the internet. Now, I can be on the internet on both at the same time...but, there are times I want to only be on one. I shut down the surge connection of the one that I do not want to use to do this. Now, when i try to sign on the one computer that I do want to use, I get the familiar statement that there is no connection. It seems that I have to turn on the surge connector where the other computer is hooked up to, even if I do not want to use it, and then I am able to go to the internet on the other one. Is there a way to NOT have to go through this each time I want to only use one of the computers?

Reply to
harri85274
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like you have this configured wrong. I guess you have the modem plugged into one computer, then the router connecting the two together.

I'm going to assume you have a separate modem. You should have your modem plugged into your router's WAN port, then the two computers plugged into LAN ports on the router.

Otherwise, please describe your connection layout. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

The router is connected to the modem and the computers are connected the the router. The router is supposed to be the gateway device to the Internet and not the computer connected to the modem and the router connected to the computer and another computer connected to the router.

If you have the router connected to the modem, you leave the router on

24/7 and one computer doesn't need the other computer to access the Internet.

You should get a UPS and plug the router into that to protect it an your other equipment. UPS(s) are cheap now of days.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

That is exactly how I have it hooked up. I did the XP wizard installation by connecting to the internet.

Reply to
harri85274

If you have the router connected to the modem, you leave the router on

24/7 and one computer doesn't need the other computer to access the Internet.>>>

That is exactly how I have it hooked up.

You should get a UPS and plug the router into that to protect it an your other equipment. UPS(s) are cheap now of days.

What is a UPS? Is that a switch? I was told by the seller of this router I do not need a switch.

Reply to
harri85274

Sorry, i forgot to mention another weirdness with my network setup. When I have both computers on to transfer files at times, one to the other, I see that one computer does not show all the folders of my c drive from the other computer. Isn't this weird? I have "show all hidden files and folders" checked. The one folder that I noticed is not shown is my Application Data. The other computer does not show it.

Reply to
harri85274

That's the one I use by Belkin. The thing with Belkin is when the battery goes, you just pay the shipping cost to return the UPS and the shipping cost for the new UPS and Belkin replaces the whole UPS with a new one for free.

formatting link
Everything I have three computers for sure and sometimes a laptop at times, modem, FW appliance, the wireless AP switch when I was doing the wireless was connected to the UPS to protect the equipment and keep the power constant and do controlled shutdown when power was lost instead just loosing everything.

Also in reading your other reply posts, it seems like you have resource sharing going on with the two machines and when one is off, the other machine is complaining about the machine being off because it cannot access it.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Do you have a DSL connection?

My guess is that you used the XP Internet Connection Wizard to set up your DSL's PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet) or similar login. If you do that, then the PC is giving you the active connection to the Internet. What you want to do is use the ROUTER to log you in to the DSL account. There frequently is a wizard on the router, otherwise there is usually a screen to choose the connection type and associated settings.

If this is so, look at your user manual to see how to get into that screen. It starts with opening a web browser and going to the IP address of your router and then a UI screen pops up. The user manual will tell you what the default password is.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
danr_18

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1138569219.752866.212640 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

UPS stands for Uninterruptable Power Supply.

As for your issue: A simple question, but is either or both the router and/or modem plugged in to the surge protector that you are turning off?

Also, run the XP Connection Wizard on both machines that are hooked up to the router.

TheChairman

Reply to
The Chairman

Also in reading your other reply posts, it seems like you have resource sharing going on with the two machines and when one is off, the other machine is complaining about the machine being off because it cannot access it.

Duane :) >>>

Yes, I do, but why should that prevent me from signing on to the internet with the other computer? My router is not a Belkin..its a Compusa router.

Reply to
harri85274

UPS stands for Uninterruptable Power Supply.

As for your issue: A simple question, but is either or both the router and/or modem plugged in to the surge protector that you are turning off?

Also, run the XP Connection Wizard on both machines that are hooked up to the router.

TheChairman >>>

I have the router plugged in one surge protector and the other computer into another surge protector. I think I found the answer. I need to have both surge protectors on 24/7. I just unplug my laptop, when not in use. Thank you all:)

Reply to
harri85274

What, you got a drive mapped to the other machine or something and it's asking for a user-id and psw, then *Cancel* out of it and go on about you business, if that's your problem?

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You should get the UPS and plug the surge protectors into it to different plugs -- problem solved.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.