router or desktop problem?

your problem is that the internal network card on the DELL is not getting an IP from the router. the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx is the microsoft fallback IP ... this is the best indication that it doesn't have an ip.

do this, do a disable and enable on the network card on the DELL (right click on the lan connection, the disable. the enable.) see if this does it. If not put an ip into the fixed section fo the TCP-ip connection within the subnet of the router. Then reboot the computer and see if you can connect.

If you can , then go back to the DHCP assigned IP an see if it will assign an ip to the card

IF it won't , then do a 'un-install' of the card from the device manager, reboot and then let XP find the card and reinstall the drivers. If this works you problably had a corrupted TCP=IP stack and it will be rebuilt by doing the above.

hope this works, I see this all the time with dells,,

Bob Smith Robert Smith C>I have an internet connection problem, and must tell you that I know

Reply to
Bob Smith
Loading thread data ...

I have an internet connection problem, and must tell you that I know very little about this technology. In other words, anyone kind enough to help me out, please keep it simple.

Setup: DSL connection. Router: D-Link DI-713P Desktop and the laptops all run Windows XP. The laptops have DWL-650+ wireless cards. There is no problem with them. The problem is with the desktop Dell Dimension 4700. It is connected directly to the router.

The Windows device manager shows under network adapters: Intel Pro /100 network connection. It tells me that it is working correctly.

This is the problem: Everything worked fine for months. Then, I noticed there was no internet connection after I booted the machine. After a while, there would be an intermittent and very slow connection. Now, there is nothing. When I ping 192.168.0.1 I get the message that the host is unreachable.

When I do an ipconfig /release, there is nothing in the connection-specific DNS field. The IP address and subnet mask are both blank.

When I do ipconfig /renew I get the message that an error occurred while renewing local interface connection: unable to contact your DHCP server.

Ipconfig /all shows: node type: unknown IP routing enabled: no WINS proxy enabled: no Connection-specific DNS suffix: blank Description: Intel Pro /100 VE Network Connection Physical address: 00-11-11-9E-7B-06 Dhcp enabled: yes Autoconfiguration enabled: yes Autoconfiguration IP address: 169.254.70.245 Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0 Default gateway: blank

Questions: Is there a way I can tell if the problem is with the router or the integrated network card? If there is a problem with the router, is there anything I can do short of replacing it? If not, can you recommend a DSL router that is compatible with the DWL-650+ wireless cards?

Let me know if you need any other info. Thank you anyone who can help me with this.

Reply to
Soenda

When you double click on your wireless conection in the system tray and goto the support tab, what is the addres of your default gateway?

Robert...

Reply to
DLink Guru

Robert,

It shows 192.168.0.1

Reply to
Soenda
192.168.1.1 gets me the same result: unreachable.

I cannot get to the setup page >I assume it is similar to Linksys?

Reply to
Soenda

Looking over your origional post it shows when you did a ipconfig /all that you have a ip address of 169.254.70.245 and a subnet of 255.255.0.0... This is not being given by your router. Manuall change your ip address to something like 192.168.0.100 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and tell me if that gets your connection back.

Robert....

Reply to
DLink Guru

Start with the simple and the cheap: (1) power-cycle the router; (2) try different Ethernet ports on the router; (3) replace the Ethernet cable.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Try pinging 192.168.1.1

Reply to
Brian K

I assume it is similar to Linksys? What do you get with 192.168.1.1 ? To me it looks like it has been reset or something? The first thing you need to do is to connect either a laptop or the desktop directly to the router & go through the setup on that first. If you can't get into the setup page then you must have a problem with either the Cat5 cable or the network card. (or it's driver).

Reply to
BruceM

I may have made a little bit of progress. I did disable/enable. That did not do anything. Windows told me it was "acquiring a network address, Firewalled." A while later I go the message: Limited or no connectivity, Firewalled.

Next, I did a repair. Windows told me it was renewing the IP address. Then I got the message that it was unable to do so.

I followed your suggestion and manually typed in IP address:

192.168.0.1. It provided the subnet address 255.255.255.0. I rebooted and was still unable to get anywhere in my browser.

However, now when I ping, I can send and receive packets without losing any. I guess that is progress. When I do an ipconfig /all I see that dhcp is not enabled. That probably makes sense to you. It does not to me, because I do not really understand what I am doing.

I am not sure how you would like me to proceed from here. I know you mentioned going back to the DHCP assigned IP. I am not sure I understand this. I do know how to do an uninstall of the card from the device manager.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Soenda

When I manually typed in IP address: 192.168.0.1, Windows provided the subnet address 255.255.255.0. I rebooted and was still unable to make an internet connection. However, I can ping, and send and receive packets without losing any. I was not able to do that before. I do not know what that tells me. though. For what it is worth,when I do an ipconfig /all I see that dhcp is not enabled.

Thanks.

Reply to
Soenda

There seems to be something wrong with DHCP requests. Was your computer initially set to obtaining its IP address (etc.) through DHCP? In any case, if you manually provide the IP address (as you have; btw: is it

192.168.0.100 or 192.168.0.1?), then you also have to provide the addresses of DNS servers. You can find those on the computers that currently work when connected to the router.

I would also try the following: Use device manager (start->settings->control panel->system->hardware->device manager)and locate the ethernet adapter. Uninstall the ethernet adapter. Now exit the device manager and reboot. XP should redetect the ethernet adapter and reinstall it. In its default configuration, it should have DHCP turned on. Also, make sure that you turn on windows firewall.

If you can only manually configure your computer's IP address (btw: if the previous step did not fix the ethernet adapter, there is something wrong with TCP/IP on that computer), the manual settings you want to use are as follows:

(1) IP address: Look at the IP addresses of your other computers and add 20 to the last number (e.g., if one is at 192.168.0.103 then use something like

192.168.0.123). IP addresses are usually handed out sequentially by the router so it should not dynamically assign this address unless there are a lot of computers connected. Alternatively, if you know at what number the router starts assigning addresses (it could be 192.168.0.100), then you can choose a number that is just below that range (e.g., 192.168.0.90). It is important that the IP address you choose is not currently being used by another computer on your network. (2) Subnet: For home networks, this is almost always 255.255.255.0 (this means that all packets sent to IP addresses that do not share the first three numbers with those of your computer are sent through the gateway). (3) Gateway: This is the IP address of your router. It may be 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, or similar. Running "ipconfig /all" in a command prompt on one of the properly functioning computers will reveal it. (4) DNS servers: Get these by running "ipconfig /all" from one of the working computers. Alternatively, connect to your router's configuration page and look at the DNS entries there. You usually enter three; although, one is enough (unless that one is temporarily offline).

Finally, make sure that you are using encryption with your wireless clients (WPA2/AES > WPA/TKIP > WEP) and change the default password on your router. If you do not do this, then anyone can connect to your network and also change settings on your router (or, in some cases, upload new or potentially bad firmware).

-Yves

Reply to
Yves Konigshofer

If you manually enter the IP address, then DHCP will be turned off. IP routing should be off.

Can you ping the computers on your network? Have you checked the ethernet cable for problems? Try connecting to a site like cnn.com with it's IP address (http://64.236.24.28). Is IE configured to use a proxy (you should not be using a proxy)?

-Yves

Reply to
Yves Konigshofer

I still think that the TCP/ip stack is corrupt,

try this, this is straight from DELLs website on how to rebuild the winsock layer

It won't hurt anything, just rebuilds the winsock. (ie turns loose the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx ip and lets everything work properly.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To rebuild the winsock layer in Windows XP, perform the following steps:

Click the Start button, and then click Run. The Run window appears. Type cmd in the Run window, and then press the key or click OK. The command DOS box appears. At the prompt, type :

netsh winsock reset,

and then press the key.

The message Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog appears. Close the command window and reboot the system. The internet connectivity will function normally again.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've seen this problem since SP1 , you get the 169 ip or "little or no connectivity" or weird do connection problems when you do a repair, or disable/enable. Usually by doing a disable/enable or uninstalling the NIC and letting winXp re-install it the problem is cured, but i've also used the above info the cure the problem.

let me know if this works,

Bob

Robert Smith Consulting

Reply to
Bob Smith

Thanks for helping me out.

I uninstalled the Ethernet adapter. Following reboot, it was reinstalled. I did ipconfig /all and saw that dhcp was enabled. Autoconfig was enabled as well. However, it gave me as autoconfig IP address 169.254.70.245. I still was unable to connect.

Next, I manually changed the IP address following your suggestions. I made sure it was different from the laptops. Also entered the DNS info. Windows now told me that I was connected. However, when I did ipconfig /all, it showed that Dhcp was not enabled. It also showed that IP routing was not enabled. Do not know if that is helpful.

I am still unable to connect to the internet. The browser tells me that it cannot find the server.

Reply to
Soenda

(...)

Argh. That removes all 3rd party LSP (Layered Service Provider) chains and resets everything to the original MS defaults. Most of the spyware removal tools and some browser plugs will need to be reinstalled after that. There are also complications per MS.

formatting link
big a hammer, methinks.

Instead, download and run one of these:

formatting link
formatting link
removes an gaps and corrupted entries, doesn't totally hose the LSP chains, and leaves the plugins intact.

You may wanna also look arount the LSP chain list before attacking:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

See

formatting link
download update If it still fails download WinsockXPFix.exe
formatting link
Ted

Reply to
Ted

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.