Router only works with some IP numbers...

Hello All!

I have a wireless router (NETGEAR 814v2) working with a cable connection (DHCP server), serving two Macintosh computers (system 9.0 one, and 10.3 the other), since the beginning I found the router connection erratic, sometimes working and sometimes not, with frequent cuts. After some investigations I discovered that the router only connects when the IP is within a certain range, close to the router address (192.168.x.x); when the IP is other number, like 169.254.32.xxx or 217.70.66.xx the router can't connect or cuts connection when IP changes to a number different from 192.xxx.x.x My problem is that I have a dynamic IP (fixed IP is too expensive for a home user) and my ISP changes IP too often (5 times a day or even much more). There is still some hope for my wireless Internet? I send thanks in advance to anyone who can give me any idea, since I am lost, being nothing like an electronics expert, and just to explore the cause of my problem I had to spend hours and hours?

Thanks for your attention to this message.

Reply to
Valente Silva
Loading thread data ...

I think you are confusing cause and effect. The 192.168.x.x and

169.254.x.x addresses are local only, not addresses that your router uses to communicate with the Internet. Assuming that your Mac is set to use DHCP on its AirPort connection, having an addresses in the 169.154.x.x range indicates that it was unable to get an IP address from the Netgear router's DHCP server and has assigned an IP address to itself. 217.70.66.x is a public address belonging to your ISP in Portugal. It should not be in use on the LAN (local) side of the router, where addresses should be within the router's subnet (address range).

If you know the router's IP address (probably 192.168.0.1), you can try assigning IP addresses to your Macs manually (such as 192.168.0.2 with a "Subnet Mask" of 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.0.1 entered in the "Router" and "DNS Servers" boxes). But I suspect that the problem will recur, as it sounds like a defect or configuration problem in the router. Perhaps the router's DHCP server is not working correctly?

Reply to
Neill Massello

Many thanks for your answer. I think I have the problem solved now, anyway I will print your answer to do what you suggest if problem occur again. In fact I think my problems were due to the fact that I used to boot modem and router at the same time, because they are plugged both on electricity. A friend over the internet told me to boot the modem and just after modem is working and stable, then plug the router to the electricity and only after that boot computer. Since I am using this method I can connect correctly at first attempt. Meanwhile I had to solve another problem, this hardware related, that could be also related to the erratic connection I had. At some point the computer that receives the net by wireless antenna (eMac with system 10.3) stopped to recognize the Airport Extreme card. I opened the access to the Airport and it was not firmly inserted (fast work done by a technician). I just inserted it firmly and computer recognized it again. So at this point things are working fine.

Many thanks for your answer and Greetings from Portugal.

Reply to
Valente Silva

Many routers will allow you to change the IP address, however, the

169.254.... address, though it is a private > Hello All!
Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.