router not working since I replaced my cable modem

I have an old Netwave base by Blitzz and I just had my cable company change my modem now I can't access the internet through my wireless router. My computer recognizes the router - it says the strength is excellent but it doesn't work. Could it have something to do with the new modem? Is there something I need to do?

Reply to
joe54345
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Does wired connection work?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No it doesn't.

Modem: RCA DCM 425 for Time Warner Cable in NYC Router: Blitzz Netwave Base G4 model BWA611

Reply to
joe54345

Try powering everything down, then:

Power up the cable modem, wait for the lights to stop flashing Power up the router, wait for the lights to stop flashing Power up the computer, "

Many cable modems lately will only talk to the first MAC address they see.

[Temporarily] connect your computer directly to your cable modem and see if that works. If not, get the cable company to properly configure your new modem.
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I got my computer to work when plugged directly into the cable box but it still doesn't work with the router.

Reply to
joe54345

Then (if the power sequencing thing in my last missive didn't help) you'll need to clone the MAC address from your computer into your router. See your router documentation for details on how to do that.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Does the router have a firewall built in? If so turn it off.

Reply to
... -.-

How would I know if the router had a firewall built in?

Reply to
joe54345
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

RTFM

Reply to
John Navas

Look, instead of giving me wise-ass remarks, why not just tell me if going out and buying a new router will fix this problem. I've already lost a day and a half trying to fix this thing and yes I've read the manual and it says nothing about a f'n firewall. It's a 4 year old router that worked fine up until I got this new modem. I thought there might be an easy fix that other's have experienced, I guess that's not the case. I just don't want to buy a new modem and have the same problem.

I'll tell you though Navas, nothing annoys me more than when a wise-ass hijacks a thread with a condescending, flippant remark when others are earnestly trying to help someone out.

Reply to
joe54345

Read the spec.

If it doesn't mention it in the spec, then its not there. Firewalls are something manufacturers shout about from the rooftops.

(and frankly, if you bought a router without a firewall, you should take it back).

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

All routers have NAT firewalls, that's how they work. IMHO, you don't have a firewall problem, you have a cable modem compatability problem. If the power sequencing thing doesn't work, and the MAC address clone thing doesn't work, and you've tried crossover cables versus straight cables, you might want to try a Linksys WAP54G from a place that has a good return policy.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Log on to the Router and look in the config setup. Most good routers have a firmware firewall. NAT is not a firewall in any sense of the word.So dont let that confuse you.

Reply to
... -.-

Agreed. Find the web page in your router that talks about "cloning" the MAC address of your computer and do it. What's happening is that the ISP is authenticating your connection using the MAC address of your computah. You've demonstrated that the computer can authenticate. However, the WAN side of the router has a different MAC address and your ISP isn't trusting it. By cloning the MAC address of your computer, the ISP will think they're talking to the computer and everything will work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Try not to be so easily annoyed, and a bit more courteous to all of us that are so generously trying to help you. There was nothing w-a about my response

-- the manual is the best source of that kind of information. Since the manual doesn't say anything about a firewall, it's a pretty safe bet that it doesn't have one. Next question?

Reply to
John Navas
  1. NAT/PAT *isn't* a firewall -- that a misnomer.
  2. Not all routers use NAT/PAT.
  3. The badly misnamed "DMZ" option in many low-end routers obviates any NAT/PAT protection.
Reply to
John Navas

Didn't mean to snap at you. Just at the end of my rope and net acronyms were the last thing I wanted to see. Just to wrap it up for everyone I went out and bought a new Linksys WRT54GS and hooked it up to my computer and had the same problems. Called tech support and they walked me through the steps to configuring my computer online and it worked. I guess Blitzz is out of business or I probably could have done the same thing and saved myself $50 but I figure 4 years is time enough for an upgrade. Linksys has great tech support. Gave me instructions to configure through the web - then gave me a special callback number if I needed extra help so I wouldn't have to wait on hold. That's the way it should be done. My internet speed seems quicker now. Thanks all for the advice hope

Reply to
joe54345

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.