router/modem compatibility

Hi all, I recently had a thread where I was contemplating dropping the rental modem from WOW, and purchasing a Cisco DPC3010. I did that. I have had the modem working for 1 a month now and as time passes I seem to be having more and more dropouts. It seems that resetting the router (a Linksys WRT54G v 5) brings things back online. This is especially frustrating when I'm in bed listening to my internet radio and need to get up to reset the router. The dropouts also happen when surfing the internet and checking email. (If I were just a bit more paranoid I'd say the cable company is punishing me for not renting their modem anymore.) Any thoughts other than buying a new router (after all the linksys is only 8 years old) Is there a log I can look at that details the dropouts?

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx
Loading thread data ...

The WRT54G v5 and v6 are seriously lousy routers. Lots of problems: I've done somewhat better using DD-WRT (mini) firmware with the v5 and v6 routers, but only slightly better. It still tends to hang wireless connections and is guaranteed to hand with more than about 4 wireless connections. The WRT54G v5 was dropped from this list: but as I vaguely recall, it was the very bottom of the list with only a few connections.

I suggest you give up, break into the piggy bank, and buy something decent. My favorites for this week are various Asus wireless devices (mostly RT-N66U). The local power company has killed a few wall warts, but the routers are doing just fine. Actually, I just like the porcupine look.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Use the management interface of the router to restart it. If the router is regularly at the point where it's management interface isn't responding, then either update the firmware, replace the PSU or replace the router.

Reply to
alexd

Hi, Jeff, I somehow deleted your post from my newsreader and don't know how to get it back. Trust me, there was no Freudian thing involved in me deleting your post! :-) Oh God! Of course they are already out with a newer model of the RT-N66U, the RT-AC66U. What was the problem? Mikek

PS. if I get a new router, what do I do with the three Wrt-54G's that I have, I don't really want to treat them like the two that I've been storing for years.

Reminds of a quote from Fred Imus Brother of Don Imus. "I was happiest when I could get everything I owed in my 69 Chevy"

Reply to
amdx

I went ahead and ordered one, $108 - $20 rebate if I do everything right. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I use a few old wireless routers as switches and/or access points.

Reply to
Char Jackson

I just hate it when that happens. You could check Google Groups.

Ummm... While 802.11AC will get you even more speed, it doesn't offer anything more than speed. If you have some application that needs lots of speed (i.e. real time uncompressed HD video), yeah, 802.11AC is a good idea. Otherwise, don't bother.

I donated a bunch of WRT54G routers to a ham radio group interested in throwing together a mesh network. When I get around to cleaning up the office again, I'll probably box up the remaining WRT54G routers and also donate those. Too bad they're not an official charity so I can't deduct the donation.

There was a time in my life when literally everything I owned could be thrown into my truck and driven off into the sunset (leaving my problems behind). I actually did that twice. The end came when I bought a water bed and furniture.

More recently, several of my customers have moved and downsized, leaving me with the excess goodies. I took everything with the intent of sorting through the mess as time permits. The office now looks like a recycling center, with no room to work.

Yesterdays treasures is today's junk.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

$108 is the refurbished price. Not a problem. I tend to buy everything refurbished if possible and have had few problems. However, check the warranty terms. They might be different from the non-refurbished models.

You might want to read the review at: You may have wasted a few dollars on the 802.11AC feature. See the first two paragraphs of the review. Nowever, note that the review was from Aug 2012 and things may have changes since then.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I didn't get the AC model, I purchased the RT-N66U. People seem to be happy once the get the software update, I hope this late in the game it comes updated with software that works out of the box. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Nope. Every router that I've bought in the last year or so has required a firmware update[1]. Please consider updates a fact of life for internet appliances. It's quite simple with the Acer firmware. I suggest you have the utilities and firmware images handy when you initially set it up:

[1] One exception was several refurbished Linksys EA2700 routers from the Linksys online store. They all had up to date firmware because of the muddle in going from Linksys -> Cisco -> Belkin branded firmware and the fizzled Cisco "cloud" managment attempt. They're not fabulous routers, but they're cheap at $30.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

People rant about this brand:

I've been using a Buffalo that runs DD-WRT.

Updates are a good thing.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.