Router in Client Mode for Two Boxes?

If this is a stupid idea, I'm sure someone will say so...

Can I use a wireless router _in client mode_ as a wireless device for two boxes connected to it by LAN cables, and subsequently access a remote access point using static IPs for the router and computers?

It seems like I ought to be able to, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks for any advice on this!

Reply to
Determined
Loading thread data ...

On 15 Oct 2006 02:56:03 -0000, Determined wrote in :

Sure, assuming you set usable IP addresses and netmasks. That's a wireless Ethernet bridge.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas writes

OK, so here's what I'm not exactly sure about:

The existing AP is 192.168.1.1

The gateway/DNS is 192.168.1.254

Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Our repeater is 192.168.1.250 (all boxes at this end of the building access the AP via this repeater)

Due to some problems with DHCP, I assigned static IPs to the computers that currently access the system via WiFi (per tech support, under 192.168.1.100 or over

192.168.1.300 to avoid any conflicts). The notebook I'm using at the moment is 192.168.1.88 for example.

So far, this works pretty well.

I want to add two more boxes into a wireless router (to be running in client mode) using the Ethernet inputs on the router.

So, OK - do I just have to set up the router and the boxes using the above addresses and then give both boxes and the router each a random IP within the range, or is there some special relationship between the IPs assigned to the two boxes and that of the router into which they're plugged?

Am I making sense so far here?

Thanks for any clarification and further tips!

Reply to
Determined

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.