Router goes walkabout

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 router. Occasionally when my wife tries to use her laptop, she can't connect the router (or obviously the Internet). My computer, which is tied directly into the router by the ethernet cable, works perfectly. Doing the site survey on the laptop shows nothing is available. When I unplug the router and plug it back in, everything works perfectly again for awhile. It seems to do this overnight most of the time and happens 3-4 times a week. Any suggestions as to what is causing and how to fix it?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman
Loading thread data ...

Kurt Ullman hath wroth:

I have a BEFW11S4 v4. It does something similar. It goes comatose for new connections every few days. It's also susceptible to hanging on peer-to-peer traffic (large number of simultaneous streams) and from exploits from the internet:

formatting link
it's one of the wireless connections that does comatose, but ocassionally it's also a wired connection. What's odd is that it's usually just one connection, not all of them.

I don't have a fix. I use an AC lamp timer attached to the BEFW11S4 v4 that power cycles the unit twice per day. I should replace the router with something better, but I haven't found anything with a better RF section.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have about six LinkSys devices and their functioning is a mystery to me. They connect whenever and whereever they please. But, they look good!!

Reply to
Zack

I've had a variety of Linksys networking products over the years and my opinion is when they start doing this kind of thing, they are broken. Make sure that your router is separated from any sources of RF or electrical interference and that it is not stacked on another hot piece of equipment. If you have this powered from a surge protector or multiple outlet, place it on it's own circuit if you have one available. Check the AC adapter and if it is too hot to hold, it could be the problem, perhaps from an overloaded circuit. You might see the Linksys forum at

formatting link
for additional ideas.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Thanks for the reply. None of these would be in play. I am leaning toward getting a new one. Especially since the "g"s are getting so dog gone reasonable.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Before convicting a router, first, verify connection indicators on each ethernet port (each end of cable) illuminate and stay illuminated (to indicate a connection). Some ethernet cables are not constructed properly; wires inside that clear plastic connector go intermittent. But this intermittent connection loss would be made apparent as cable is shaken; connection indicator lights at this or other end of cable extinguish.

Is your computer 100 Mhz (most likely) or > I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 router. Occasionally when my wife tries to

Reply to
w_tom

If possible, I would also try to get hold of another wireless client and see if it is affected in the same way. I have an IBM T42 that just drops its connection to a Linksys WAP11 for no reason. I have another IBM laptop, A21 with an Orinoco Gold ABG card in it and it never drops, and will continue on when my laptop is not working. Power cycling the WAP11 almost always works. Sometimes, stopping and restaring the wireless card on my laptop works.

I blame the IBM drivers, because I have similar problems at public & school sites where others are not experiencing problems. IIRC, when I had Linux on the laptop, I did not experience this problem, but that may not be the case.

K
Reply to
Kevin T. Neely

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:41:15 -0500, "Kevin T. Neely" wrote in :

IBM drivers? If it's an Intel wireless card, then they would be Intel drivers. If it's an Atheros wireless card, then they would be Atheros drivers. etc. IBM just tests and packages them.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.