router + card combo

Hi,

I've got ten pc's running XP to network soon--I used linksys WRT54G and linksys cards to network a similar network previousliy and found the setup worked fine for the Windows 2000 pc's but the XP boxes were not as reliable maintaining a connection to the WAP. I think the problem may have been that I updated the firmware on the router--but Linksys has never provided a reasonable answer to the difference in performance on the two OS's.

Does anyone have recommendations for specific router/card make/model? Has Linksys gotten their act together or is D-link or someone else more reliable for a small network environment like this?

Many Thanks,

Wanda

Reply to
news.rr.com
Loading thread data ...

Hi Duane,

thanks for the help--would that be the driver card from MS or Linksys that I should download?

Many thanks,

Wanda

I used the same Linksys WPC11 card on Win 2K and the when I upgraded to XP Pro using the same card it worked well too. But that was after I did two things to make it stable on XP.

I think you have some features on XP that may need to be disabled like Wireless Zero Configuration Service on XP. You can also download, install, and configure the card's driver using Device Manager for the install and config and not use the card's utility to do anything, which seems to make the wireless connection on XP solid.

Duane :)

Reply to
news.rr.com

"news.rr.com" wrote in news:OXPwd.29875$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com:

I used the same Linksys WPC11 card on Win 2K and the when I upgraded to XP Pro using the same card it worked well too. But that was after I did two things to make it stable on XP.

I think you have some features on XP that may need to be disabled like Wireless Zero Configuration Service on XP. You can also download, install, and configure the card's driver using Device Manager for the install and config and not use the card's utility to do anything, which seems to make the wireless connection on XP solid.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks...found it.

Wanda

thanks for the help--would that be the driver card from MS or Linksys that I should download?

Many thanks,

Wanda

Reply to
news.rr.com

"news.rr.com" wrote in news:kA3xd.26677$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com:

I'll assume you found the Linksys driver.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

yes it was....how'd you know?

:)

Wanda

I'll assume you found the Linksys driver.

Reply to
news.rr.com

"news.rr.com" wrote in news:7R5xd.27907 $ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com:

It was just a wild guess. ;-) I do hope things work out for you and your wireless troubles go away.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.