router can't access e-mails or newsgroups on OE

I've just installed a Belkin wireless router and all the things are going fine. I can access websites and update things from the Internet using Firefox and IE6. However, I can't seem to receive any e-mails from my ISPs e-mail accounts. I can receive e-mail for another account (Gmail) but nothing else.

I could easily receive e-mails when I had my ADSL modem installed until I installed my router.

I get a error message saying this The server responded with an error. Account: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Server: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

I've already done unchecking the "Always connect this account using..." as been advised to do so what else could I do? Do you stay with the same options or do you need to change them?

Also I can't seem to download any headers in the newsgroup

Pablo

Reply to
paul5114
Loading thread data ...

cheers for that! and yeah, I originally posted it via OE but took a while to get any replies so moved to Google groups

Reply to
paul5114

Use telnet: telnet pop.tiscali.co.uk 110 and similar commands for your SMTP (port 25) & NNTP (port 119) servers. If you don't get a welcome message from each, then your router is (probably) explicitly blocking them.

Reply to
Derek Broughton
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Looks like you're running AVG anti-virus, which has a POP3 proxy that's having trouble with the POP3 connection. Check the documentation.

(No need to post this twice.)

Reply to
John Navas
Reply to
usenet.plus.net

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.