Router as client access point or better client adapter?

I live in a tourist area in Vietnam with too many free wireless routers in use giving a lot of interference. There are about 20 hotels/guest houses visible from my window. I have a desktop computer which currently has a crappy USB WIFI g modem with a 3 inch antenna. This usually works but 5-10 times a day I lose signal for 1-3 minutes.

The question is would it be helpful to get a router and use that as my client adapter? Bigger antennas would enable stronger reception to nearer access points, but maybe receive more interference from other routers.

The local computer stores have a very limited selection of routers. Only 2 are simultaneous dual mode: D-Link DIR-825 and linksys WRT610n. I figure having the extra band available could not hurt. These routers both give GigE Ethernet switches which would be useful.

When using a router as a client adapter, does it work in a way similar to Windows when connecting? i.e. Will it connect automatically to a set of routers that I have authorized? All the FAQ's I have read indicate the router must be configured to use a specific SSID. Different restaurants and hotels have their routers turn off at night or the staff wants to recharge their phone so it may be unplugged.. I do not want to be tied to a specific router.

I have done Unix development and am very familiar with TCP/IP so DD-WRT does not scare me.

Last choice: Perhaps a WI FI adapter with a better/removable antenna: Wireless-N PCI Adapter with Dual-Band (WMP600N) * High-speed dual-band Wireless-N networking for your desktop PCs. * Operates in the 2.4 and 5GHz radio bands -- choose the one with least congestion in your area.

I may move to a house, in which case the router would be used with a DSL connection The WI FI adapter would then be useless. A little extra money now for a more versatile device would be worth it to me.

TIA.

Reply to
Robert
Loading thread data ...

Robert-

From your description of the environment, I don't think signal strength is your problem.

It might be worth a try to use an 802.11a client adapter (or router/adapter). If you have 802.11n capability, you should be able to turn off the "b" and use "a" only. That band may be just as crowded, but I understand it is capable of supporting MUCH more traffic, and at a higher speed.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Robert-

From your description of the environment, I don't think signal strength is your problem.

It might be worth a try to use an 802.11a client adapter (or router/adapter). If you have 802.11n capability, you should be able to turn off the "b" and use "a" only. That band may be just as crowded, but I understand it is capable of supporting MUCH more traffic, and at a higher speed.

============================ Windows Live mail does not indent well.. sorry.

Thanks for your response.

some issues:

1) only 2 routers for sale here have A and b & g. These are the most expensive ones.. 2) Standard of living here is low, so the locals tend to buy the cheapest crap. 3) only 1 wifi client adapter available has wifi A, it is about $100. only has internal antennae 4) the linksys wrt610N is only about $125 and supports A, G, and N. 5) my current crappy client adapter is wifi B/G only and is about 2.5 inches by 3.5 inches. 3 inch antenna.

so the choices appear to be:

1) buy the expensive client adapter (2x USA price) 2) buy a router and use it in client mode 3) new idea: buy a cheap WIFI g thumb sized client adapter, and try to construct a homemade directional antenna.

Price is a concern but I just want a stable connection.

Reply to
Robert

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Robert chose the tried and tested strategy of:

formatting link
Should be cheap enough.

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.