Router/AP compatibility

I have a Dlink DGL 4300; it works very well and has been for at least 5 years now. I don't need to replace it, but I don't know how long it's liable to last, so I've been looking at replacements. I'm looking at routers of the same quality, with a 5-port gigabit switch.

Of course, any new router will be 802.11n which is of course fine by me and the various guests who use the wireless. Except that I have an Engenius wired to it as an AP for the other side of the house (and the back-yard), which is 802.11g, and this setup works properly for "seamless roaming" around the place.

The question is: if I replace the DGL4300 with (say) a Netgear N600, will the "wireless roaming" still be seamless? If someone connects

802.11n and roams to the back-yard, what will happen? Or will I need a new AP as well?
Reply to
Warren Oates
Loading thread data ...

On my router, you can select which modes it uses. N is wider than G, so I suspect some people have trouble with it (neighbor conflict). To be honest, I just use G, even though I have some N clients.

Come to think of it, I would need to occupy both a standard G band and a wide N band. N is 40MHz wide, nearly the whole band. Kind of piggish.

In any event, just don't use the N feature and I guess everything would be the same. I'm trying to recall if I ever bothered with the N mode at all. I think I never bothered to test it.

Reply to
miso

That's sort of what I thought. Thanks for the response.

Fortunately, I live in a kind of suburban small town where conflicting stations aren't a problem.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.