Roaming between multiple wireless locations

I have seen alot of issues relating to this issue and cant find a suitable answer.

This is the scenario:

I want to create identical hotspots in 3 different locations.

I want to be able to roam between these 3 connections without the need to change any settings on my phone/laptop.

To do this, do i need to make the mac address and SSID the same on all

3? or is there another way to do it?

I dont want to have to setup multiple profiles for different locations eg: Location 1, Location 2...

I want to be able to setup 1 profile eg: Location group

Any help would be great thanks

Reply to
mzile
Loading thread data ...

There is none. It's a client limitation.

The same SSID. Leave the MAC addresses alone.

That's the way to do it. However, different clients on the network behave differently because 802.11 doesn't specify how to select access points when roaming.

But Google with 802.11k.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

If you just set up the same SSID on all devices, your phone/laptop should attempt to connect to it without an issue with the same profile.

The MAC address of the access point shouldnt matter whatsoever if we're talking about basic 802.11a/b/g.

CH

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Christopher M. Hutchison, CEO NetSteady Communications, Ltd.

Phone: 614-255-5575 Mobile: 614-853-0091 Skype: wifi_chris

formatting link

snipped-for-privacy@i> I have seen alot of issues relating to this issue and cant find a > suitable answer.

Reply to
NetSteady

i got this working perfectly by setting up mac filtering on all access points (about 10) and changing the SSID to the same.

The next step is to make the connection connect to the signal with the strongest signal within the same distance....Seamless roaming

working then let me know i am very intersted

Reagrds, Mitch

Reply to
mzile

On 21 Nov 2006 23:00:08 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.au wrote in :

Make the SSID the same. Don't mess with the MAC addresses.

Reply to
John Navas

On 7 Dec 2006 15:35:54 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.au wrote in :

Don't use MAC filtering -- it's a waste of time that just tends to cause problems.

That's a function of your client software -- there's nothing you can do to improve it.

Reply to
John Navas

If u r thinking to use one laptop for only 3 hotspots then that is OK....but if u r want ur all client should able to move anywhere then u can use the new tech.device controller.

In this controller handles all ur AP's & creating own database of client info.in it so that the client can move any where without any distrubt....

thanks, Prashant

Reply to
prashant

On 8 Dec 2006 02:27:47 -0800, "prashant" wrote in :

No need for that -- just choose a wireless card with good software; e.g., Intel Pro Wireless, IBM/Lenovo Connection Manager.

Reply to
John Navas

depends if you need roaming with no disconects - eiteh rdoen at layer2 or 3 mobile ip is what Cisco call it.

Reply to
developers

On 8 Dec 2006 09:27:54 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@thuk.co.uk" wrote in :

Actually more complicated than that, depending on what you need; e.g.,

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.