RJ45 to wireless

I'm sure this has probably been covered before but I can't find it.

I have a router for my desktop and my wife just bought a laptop that has a wireless ethernet adapter. My router does not have wireless capability and it also has 2 phone jacks that I use with my Vonage line.

Can I buy a device to simply go from one of the free RJ45 jacks on the router to wireless which I will use to connect to my wifes laptop?

I did see a wireless router with phone jacks but its $100...hoping to save some money. Thanks for any help

Gary

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
gwb
Loading thread data ...

The easiest thing to do is get a WAP, wireless access point, it will just plug in to an RJ-45 on the existing router and function as a wireless transmitter for anything within range. You could also get another router, and configure it to work as a WAP, but that would require a few settings changes

Reply to
RBM

"RBM" hath wroth:

A few setting changes to use a router as a wireless access point:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Routers are generally cheaper than wireless access points.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Due to quantity sold I suppose. Linksys WRT54G is $59 at Walmart same price at Best Buy and Circuit City who both have the WAP54G for like under $80 last time I bought one.

Reply to
DTC

$49 and change today.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Sheese...*THAT* cheap! Another compelling reason choosing to deploy at 5.8 Gig was a good idea.

Reply to
DTC

I sorta lied - it's $49 online at WalMart, $59 in the store. Best Buy is still $49 in the store. No idea why WallyWorld is different instore and online ( online includes store pickup ).

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

For your convenience of standing in line and listening to mothers that wait to get to Walmart to spank their kids.

Reply to
DTC

Any wireless router can be used like this. Just disable its DHCP server, and connect it to your router, lan port to lan port (ignore the new unit's internet/wan port).

Remember, YGWYPF.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.