Reviving old post: Check signal using DWL-810+

Please tell me if my thinking is correct. Here's the setup for now. Home office RoadRunner with a D-Link DI-604 router and a few more switches, and a DWL-800AP+ (AP mode) mounted in a window 6 feet from the floor. Detached Garage (120 feet away) has a DWL-810+ bridge (actually an 800 with hacked firmware) sitting on top of monitor, with stock antenna and boxes and metal stuff near. It's connected to a 4 port hub (in case I want another ethernet connection out there), obviously 1 port connected to ethernet card in computer. I did many Roadrunner speed tests, the ones with the goofy picture and the ones with the rocket picture and text, and I consistently get 4.3 to

4.6 mbps, the same speed I get to a hardwired computer in the office. Logs show almost no dropped packets. I think this is excellent throughput under the cicumstances. Did I just get lucky with placement or are these D-Link devices really good? A side note, I did an ad-hoc network at a business this week, using G hardware, only achieving 11mbps on the signal meter, but the connection is pitiful at 30 feet. It drops down to 1mbps if someone walks by. Thanks, Rob
Reply to
MrSmiley
Loading thread data ...

FYI, In an AD-HOC network the best you can expect is 11MBs no matter what protocol you use.

Robert...

Reply to
DLink Guru

Yeah, I read that on D-Link's site. I wonder if future firmware will allow faster speeds with existing hardware. Rob

Reply to
MrSmiley

Not likely. AD-HOC wil more then likely only support 11MBs in the future. The companies dont spend anytime in R&D on AD-HOC solutions as it is so limited, plus they want you to purchase thier other products instead of only

2 adapters.
Reply to
DLink Guru

I can say that I am also very happy with my two DWL-810AP+'s. No packet losses and also see the same throughput coming off RR. (Did the speed tests using a laptop.) I mainly just use them for consoles (PS2, Dreamcast) but also have let friends/family plug into them with their laptops if they didn't have any wireless hardware.

Your reference about the "hacked firmware" for the DWL-800AP+ is interesting. I was thinking about picking up one or two more DWL-810AP+'s eventually, since they worked so well. With "hacked firmware" capable of using the DWL-800AP+ as a wireless/ethernet bridge, might just pick a couple of them up instead. Going to google that later. Be nice to not only have a couple more little bridges, but "wireless extenders" as well.

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.