Restricting LinkSys Router

Hello,

A few years ago, when I initially installed my linksys router, I set it up so that only the network had a password, but so that only my current laptop could access it (I believe via the computer name). I have a new laptop and I would like to add this computer to the criteria, but I do not remember how to do this via the linksys software. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

Reply to
samadams_2006
Loading thread data ...

Any particular Linksys model router? The hardware version (from the serial number tag) and the firmware version (from the setup page) would also be nice.

If the restrictions were only for the wireless network, you have a WEP, WPA, or WPA2 encryption key setup on the "wireless security" page. Use a wired ethernet connection to do the setup if you lost it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have no idea what this all means...

A - for the wireless side, you could have setup encryption key - WEP, WPA, etc B - for the wireless side, you could have used a MAC address access list

C - Some Linksys devices have a "permission list" that lists computer IP addresses or MACs, and the times of day they can access the router network - ala parental controls -

So - which Linksys router do you have, and which set of controls do you think you used ?

Reply to
ps56k

Hello Again,

I have Linksys Model RTP300.

Thanks Sam

Reply to
samadams_2006

That's not a wireless router:

Without wireless encryption, your question makes little sense. Sorry, but I can't decode what you're trying to accomplish. Try again, this time supplying a better description of what you are trying to accomplish. Also, the RTP300 is normally distributed by various service providers. You might call support at your VoIP provider for help.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.